Friday, December 15, 2006

10 DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS

Tomorrow is the start of 9 dawn masses in the Philippines, also called Misa de Gallo. To be honest, I have never completed all nine masses. Sometimes, my flight to Zamboanga would be the dawn one and I would miss that day. Sometimes during college, I would be too tired from studying and won't be able to get up on time. After I got married, it was even more difficult for me to get up in the early morning and hie off to church. I know, I know, too many excuses. To be honest, I am quite ashamed of myself for this. Had I been determined and resiliant, I know that I could not have missed a single morning of Misa de Gallo.

Now that I am in Japan where the church is around 10 train stations away, I am even more saddened at the situation. Not only is this very difficult, but very expensive as well. Makes me think that it was not so bad getting up in the morning back home with the church only a few streets away. Makes me think that at least, back home, you would not need a ride to get to church. It makes me think that at least you don't have the inconvenience of wearing 6 pieces of clothing just to be warm to attend mass. Yes, sometimes, it takes something like this to give you a reality check.

So, what am i supposed to do? I guess I could do all my prayers here at home for the moment. For sure we'll be hearing mass on the 24th in preparation for Christmas. I am hoping (not promising) that next year, I'll be able to attend all 9 masses. I know it will be hard and I know it will be difficult. But I want to do it and I want to see it through. After everything God has done for me, this is the least I could do, right?

No comments: