Tuesday, January 23, 2007

PASALUBONG

Pasalubong is a Tagalog word meaning "souvenir". In the Philippines it has aquired the meaning of a small gift or souvenir from someone travelling either whilst visiting or upon returning home. The literal meaning of pasalubong is to "greet", "surprise" or "meet with".
Pasalubong is very popular among Filipinos if good relations are to be maintained. Pasalubong can range from food items such as fruits, imported confectionery goods and other sweets. Pasalubong can also be other items such as shirts, novelty items, knives and toys etc. If it is something that can be bought or wrapped, it's a pasalubong. (from Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasalubong)

.....

We did some minor packing past night for Ruther's departure on Thursday. We had some difficulty deciding what pasalubong to give everyone at home because most of our pasalubong are in the 2 balikbayan boxes we sent ahead months ago. So, now we're considering buying some food and chocolates for Ruther's family, my sister and brother, and Ruther's officemates. I did get a nice fan for Mama. I hope she likes it. I'm sure a week before we leave for Manila too, I'll be a wreck on what to get everyone back home. I usually like to get something that suits the personality of the person. Like my sis, I plan to get her a Japanese umbrella because she's dainty. For my mom, I'll get her those geisha figurines and a fan too. I already got my dad some golf stuff because he's such a golf nut. Anyway, I'm sure I'll have the list ready by February. I also have to buy MY souvenirs as well. =D Oh boy, LOTS of shopping to do!

No comments: