Thursday, March 22, 2007

PIANO PLAYING

I have been practicing my piano playing these past days. I have already forgotten most of my piano pieces (the ones I played when I was in high school) which is really disappointing. I'm really not a good piano player. I have to practice lessons again and again and when I encounter a new lesson, I usually play it in almost a robotic way (you know, without feelings). I have a hard time reading notes and get really intimated by sharps and flats. So, I usually just tackle the easy piano pieces - for now. I find that when I learn the pieces by heart, I can play it better (and in a less robotic way). =P

This afternoon, I played/practiced Fur Elise (forgot some parts), Somewhere in Time, Ballad Pour Adeline (also forgot some parts), Can You Read My Mind (really easy version so I got it in no time), Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head and Moon River (my current favorite). I plan to learn more pieces later on but for now, I have to polish on these lest I forget them as well.

P.S. How can I make note-reading so much easier? =P

2 comments:

Amy said...

The secret behind learning notes is.......learning notes. :) For me, it was much like learning to read. I learned to recognize individual notes (like letters), patterns (like words), and when reading aloud, the dynamics are kind of like inflection in your voice when you speak. The only way to make it easier is to practice it, become more familiar with it. A few years ago I was not nearly as comfortable sight reading or playing with expression as I am now. I've been playing flute since I was 10 years old (so almost 17 years now) and I've only been really comfortable learning new music quickly in the last couple years. Piano is much harder for me to learn quickly because there are so many more notes to be played at the same time. :)

Keep trying!! It's definitely worth the time and effort when you can finally play something the way you want! :)

I do have one suggestion for learning pieces more easily...don't work on quite so many at one time. Learning a piece requires both mental and physical memorization....give yourself enough time with a piece each practice session to become more familiar with it. Know where your hands are going to need to be for the next measure. You can still work on multiple pieces, but don't just play through one and move on to the next. :)

:P said...

thanks a bunch Amy! =D will do a lot of practicing now that the piano is within reach. i have no such luck in manila.

those pieces i mentioned were my recital pieces from waaay back. so i still kinda remember them and just want to review those. the piece i want to learn now is Only Reminds me of You. I have not started yet, but i will practice that. i usually start with my right hand first then my left and whem i am confident enough, i play it with both hands. give me a month. =D

anyway, thanks so much for the tips! will practice and practice until i get all my pieces perfect. =D