Thursday, April 19, 2007

BACK ACHES AND HEALTH ISSUES

I noticed in the past few days that I have been experiencing low back pains. I really don't know if it's partly due to my disposition (I believe that what we emotionally feel affects our physical health) or because of poor posture. Or maybe it's both. I have been experiencing low back pains since I was in college. After sitting long hours, I would have aches on my back that would not subside immediately. I would resort to hot baths or liniments or analgesics (as a last resort) when afflicted with such pains. When I got pregnant, my low back pains got worse during the third trimster and walking became a bit difficult for me. Compared to that of course, my latest back aches are nothing. But still, it's very disconcerting and so, I would still want to be rid of this. I would have wanted to try acupuncture. But 1. it is a bit expensive for me, 2. it is not available in Zamboanga (or I have not heard of an acupuncturist here) and 3. when in Manila, the location is too far away from our home and is therefore inconvenient for me because no one can babysit the boys. So, lately, I just do the hot baths, liniments and analgesics although I rarely drink medicine now. I try to avoid taking medicine as much as I can and resort to more healthy options like drinking tea or using a hot water bottle. Why avoid medicine you ask? Well, I don't want to harm my liver or kidneys because of medicines. When I get older, for sure, I will be taking supplements but for now, I want to keep my kidneys and liver as healthy as possible.

Anyway, I am sure a happy disposition will help my condition as well since endorphins are the body's Prozac. I also plan on taking more milk or calcium supplements (but personally I choose the former). I have been kinda lax in this and I really don't want to be osteoporotic a few years from now. Furthermore, I have to take folic acid regularly (but I usually forget) because I am anemic and my red blood cells (RBCs) are not healthy. According to Nikki's hematologist who got blood samples from Ruther and me a few years ago, my RBCs are not as red nor as disc-shaped as the normal RBCs. So yeah, my RBCs are abnormal. But other than that, I think I am perfectly healthy (though I still have to lose those extra pounds... grr...).

My mom always tells me and my siblings to take care of our health. She and dad always remind us to cut down on sugar (diabetes is in the family history), to eat more fruits and vegetables, cut down on fatty meats and eat more white meat instead, and to exercise regularly. I plan to be more careful with my food intake. I have a sweet tooth so cutting down on sugary food is a bit difficult for me but of course, I DO want to stay healthy so I eat in moderation now. I also try to drink more juices and less colas. It's a good thing the boys are not into colas so less worries for me there. All in all, I suppose we just want to live as long as we can in this world and if we need to sacrifice a few things to do that, then why shouldn't we do so? So maybe, good eating habits, regular exercise and a happy disposition are what we all need to live long full lives...

No comments: