Thursday, April 26, 2007

BUKO PIE

Buko is a Tagalog word and means young coconut (pertaining to the meat). The buko pie in Manila is not like this. I never really liked the buko pie in Manila (actually in a province south of Manila called Laguna) because it's a bit dry and for the life of me, I could never seem to taste the custard in it. So, when I saw this slice in a bakeshop here in Zamboanga, I just had to try it. It looks really yummy, doesn't it? I have to admit, the meringue on the top added to the "want" factor. =D

The buko pie in Manila doesn't have this meringue on top. It's just huge slivers of young coconut meat or buko mixed in very little custard. I really am not too fond of that because 1. the coconut slivers are too big and you have a bit of difficulty biting them off and 2. the pie is too dry for my taste. I like my buko pies rich and creamy and custard-y and a bit sweet. Just like this one!

Tomorrow, I think I gotta exercise more...


side view. yummy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does look yummy, I love meringue too!