Sunday, April 29, 2007

PRICEY

I was browsing through a fashion magazine yesterday out of boredom. But my boredom quickly vanished when I saw a Salvatore Ferragamo bag that cost P66,500!! Unbelievingly, I looked again. Yes, I saw right! 6. 6. 5. 0. 0. Wow. There was a Vivienne Tam skirt that cost P15,649, a Furla tote at P 27,950, Tod's flats costing P25,5000, and this one blew my mind away... a Prada hand bag that cost P106,000!!! Now I know about signature clothes and accessories. I know they are costly and are of good quality. But my goodness! This is just too much!

After I put down the magazine I still could not forget about what I read. I was thinking, the cost of the Vivienne Tam skirt could save the life of a poor child. The cost of the Salvatore Ferragamo bag could clothe several street children. Those Tod's flats could feed how many hungry school children. The Furla bag cost could provide a patient with medical attention or medicines. And that Prada handbag could give shelter to many homeless people.

I thought about that and I was sad. In fact it really affected me that until today, I could not forget those exorbitant prices. I think the world needs more than just expensive things. I think the world needs care and concern and love. If I had the money to buy those things , I would still do what I suggested. I would give it to charity. After all what would I do with a bag that would stay behind when I die? I would rather bring precious memories with me than material things. But then again, that's just me...

2 comments:

Amy said...

You're right, the cost of some (all?) of those designer items is ridiculous and tragic. I know it doesn't cost the designer that much to make a bag/skirt/shoes/etc. And it amazes me that people will pay that much for clothing/accessories. I've paid too much for purses before, but the amount I paid couldn't have changed someone's life. I wish the designers would donate a percentage of the profit to a good cause. At least then there would be a purpose behind buying such overpriced things.

:P said...

yes, you're right. it would have been better if designers share their earnings to charity. i'm sure their lifestyle would not change if they give a mere 10% as tithe. i suppose i'm that affected because well, i always see poverty around me and really, it's a sad sad thing. now that it's elections in the philippines, i was thinking, if i were a politician, my priorities would be poverty, the children and education. sigh. it's so frustrating when people throw money away and sooo many others need it. =(