Thursday, June 21, 2007

DO I DARE?

The other day I was reading an article in a magazine. It listed some tips on how to live life to the fullest. One item there said: Dare to ask a stupid question.

When I read that, it stuck to my head and stayed there. I realized that in the past I never, ever dared to ask a stupid question. Not even a weird question or a questionable question. The first thing that would come to mind would be what other people would think, what they would say and how I would look asking such a stupid question. I could already imagine myself being swallowed up whole by the earth should the question leave my lips. Yes, that's how morbidly terrified I am of being criticized. Before.

Maybe now, I'm older, braver and just couldn't care less if I asked a reeeally stupid question. My attitude now would be, "So what if I didn't know that? It's not the end of the world." I guess I realized that by NOT asking a stupid question I deprived myself of more knowledge, of more information, of more lessons in life. I suppose that shielding myself from criticisms and hurt and disappointment hindered my growth. And it's a good thing I realized that or I would be living in a shell right now.

I actually can't remember the last time I asked a stupid question. I suppose at my age and maturity, I am no longer affected by such things. I think I've finally learned to just let things be, I've learned that there are some things that I cannot control and I just have to accept that (whether or not I like it). I suppose I should ask more stupid questions and see how people react to them. It might make this world a bit more interesting.

So try it. And tell me what your stupid question was. =D

2 comments:

Amy said...

I asked a very stupid question yesterday at work, of a manager. We sell certain gloves separately, the ones used for applying dangerous chemicals. So a guy came to my counter with boots designed for applying dangerous chemicals. So I turned to my manager and asked if we sell them as a pair.

Duh. :)

Luckily I have gotten over the fear of stupid questions I had not so long ago. Or unluckily, perhaps, because now I ask a lot of questions I could probably come up with the answer to with a little more thought. But I also don't do anything I probably shouldn't at work. :)

:P said...

congratulations amy! =D i've been thinking of documenting my stupid questions and reviewing them later on with the kids, just to see what they would think about them. =D

i suppose that as we get older we just aren't that affected anymore. which i think is a good thing. =D