Friday, June 22, 2007

MY BIG BOY


I suppose I realized that Nikki was no longer a baby when we hit the arcade. For me, it was like a graduation of sorts: from infant shoes to sneakers, from crib to bed, from supermarket to arcade.

Nikki first had a taste of arcade games (specifically Mario Kart) in Japan. Ruther had a "UFO catcher" phase (of which I collected the prizes of course!) and those places had arcade games for kids as well. Since Nikki is a big Mario Bros. fan he really loved Mario Kart. I never realized that Nikki was capable of "driving" these things! Unfortunately, we haven't seen a Mario Kart unit here so Nikki had to settle for other race themed games at SM malls. Sure, I have to press the accelerator for him but he is very capable of going his way, making time and choosing when to pit. When I saw Nikki having loads of fun "driving", I looked around and thought, "My goodness! Nikki is no longer a baby!" Beside Nikki, I saw kids and even grown-ups pushing tokens into slots to have a turn of fun. It was an overwhelming and weird feeling.

Although Nikki has had a taste for arcade games, he specifically likes only the races. And I'm happy with that. I'm not sure I could handle the thought that my boy knows the moves/combination to Street Fighter or other similar games. Maybe 10 years from now?
When Ruther comes home, maybe this will be a bonding thing for them. I think it will be nice to see the three of them have a bit of fun at the arcades. Who knows Nikki might be the next Mario Andretti... =D


4 comments:

mitch said...

Oh my God, Yette! I have never won a match against Dallas when we play Soul Calibur/Tekken. Pareho lang naman kaming pindot ng pindot, pero for some reason, wala talaga akong laban sa kanya. I even attempted to learn the power combinations to beat her, hindi man lang ako nakabuwelo, talo pa din ako. And Aeon has learned to play her GBA games by herself. Nagulat nga ako, dati, nagpapatulong pa yan sa akin, ngayon, siya na lang mag-isa. Hindi na sila baby! That's why I am still glad when Aeon tells me, "I still want to be your baby..." *sniff*

mitzh said...

Kids these days are just amazing and they really surprises in ways that you don't expect.

My daughter loves Mario Kart as well a trip to the mall wouldn't be complete if she can't play that game.

:P said...

nyaaa! mio, same tayo! lagi akong talo! e mario bros. pa lang hirap na hirap na ako e, what more yung mga combination moves pa? waaah! hindi na talaga baby si Nikki!

buti na lang si Ethan wala pang hilig sa mga video games. part lang siya ng cheering squad (with me as captain). at least may baby pa ako. =D

:P said...

Nikki really misses the Mario Kart in Japan. really really wish we could go back. (here I go again!) =P

kisses to your daughter! =D