Tuesday, June 26, 2007

SOMETHING

I think I'm coming down with something. What that something is, I don't know but yesterday when I woke up, it was painful for me to swallow. So I was suspecting: 1. my immune system is somehow not in a "I'll beat all disease-causing microorg" mood and 2. I might be coming down with a cold or something. I immediately made a glass of calamansi juice and not only did my throat feel a whole lot better (not immediately of course) but I no longer sounded like I had a wad of cotton lodged in my nose. Last night, I made another glass and drank it all up. This morning, I seem to have a bit of sniffles so I suppose I will have to continue my Vitamin C regimen until I'm confident that I no longer have a runny nose. I think all the dust from the construction has somehow affected me. Just yesterday, 2 workers were tearing down the kitchen wall (they are expanding it) and you could only imagine the dust!! My goodness! Hopefully before the week is over, the kitchen and dining area will be done.

I rarely get sick. Ruther knows this. One time, I had fever but after I slept it off, it disappeared. So yeah, I'm a poor candidate for "I'm sick today, mom, can I stay home from school?" But I DO get headaches. I think that is hereditary. But it's okay. A P7 analgesic is a whole lot better than P??? cost of medical care.

Okay, gotta go make another glass of calamansi juice. =D

.....

And while we're at it: (from Wikipedia)

Calamondin or Calamansi (x Citrofortunella microcarpa) is a fruit tree in the family Rutaceae and a member of citrofortunella that was developed in and is very popular throughout Southeast Asia, especially the Philippines, where it is most commonly used for cooking. In the west it is variously known as acid orange, calamondin orange, or Panama orange, and in the Pacific Islands it is called calamansi. It is a shrub or small tree growing to 3-6 m, and bears small citrus fruit used to flavour foods and drinks. Although sometimes described as a native of the Philippines or other areas of Southeast Asia, the tree is in fact the result of a hybrid between species in the genera Citrofortunella and unknown in the wild.

The fruit of the calamondin resembles a small, round lime, a little bigger than the size of a thumbnail, 25-35 mm in diameter. It has the inviting odor of a tangerine with a very thin green or orange colored peel. In spite of its appearance and aroma, the taste is quite sour. In Asia the juice is used to season fish, fowl, and pork. Calamansi is commonly used as a condiment for dishes such as pancit bihon. Like other citrus fruits, the calamansi is high in vitamin C, and the juice can be a good vitamin source.

6 comments:

Amy said...

...my immune system is somehow not in a "I'll beat all disease-causing microorg" mood...

You are so funny! I love the way you put that! :)

All this construction on your house...please show pictures of it if you can because I am intrigued by all the changes!

:P said...

funny thing is, my immune system really did say that. hahaha!

will post photos for you, amy. but be prepared to be shocked! =D

take care!

Kristine said...

Hay, ang expensive ng Calamansi dito. But lemon just doesn't taste the same.

:P said...

you are lucky you still somehow find some calamansi. when I was in japan and I and to make beefsteak for my husband yung calamansi extract na lang yung ginamit ko! di gaanong masarap. sad ako for my hubby because that's one of his favorite food e.

but you're right. the calamansi flavor can't be duplicated by other lemon or limes. =D

mitzh said...

I love calamansi! But I actually love anything that is sour.

Hope you'll feel better soon.. I agree drinking lots of fruit juice specially the ones that has loads of Vit.C do wonders!

Take care, Yette.. {{hugs}}

:P said...

thanks mitzh! will continue drinking calamansi juice pa rin... hopefully I will be a lot better in the next few days...

take care too! =D