Monday, June 18, 2007

WEIGHT ISSUES

Looking at the many photos we took during our weekend trip to Hundred Islands and Baguio, I realized that I have gained too much pounds over the past few months. I cannot exactly pinpoint what caused my weight gain but I suppose it's a mix of inactivity, not watching what I was eating and complacency. Last year, my brother-in-law got married and I was one of the secondary sponsors. Of course, I prepared for the big event and lost some of the weight I wanted to lose before. But 2 months after that, the boys and I went to Japan and I think that's when I gained back all the pounds I lost - and then gained some more. I was not very active during our stay in Japan. I was usually just at home doing chores and tending to the boys. The usual exercises we had were on Saturdays when we played badminton for an hour or two and during long walks to the grocery/supermarket. Oh yes, and when we had to go places as well because we had to walk all the time. So that was basically it. Plus, considering the fact that I wanted to cook sumptuous meals for my husband and he would let me try new food and meals around Yokohama (ramen and chahan! yum yum!) added to my weight gain. And then, after arriving from Japan, we hied off to Zamboanga and again, inactivity and poor diet. I did do some exercises on my mom's stationary bike and tried to eat more fruits and less carbs but I suppose it was just too little impact on my stubborn fats.

So here I am again trudging on my treadmill to once more lose the pounds of fat I lost before. Before, I used to begrudge the fact that I was not blessed with a slim and petite body (like my mom and sis). But I'm over that now. I know that self-pity will get me nowhere. If God gave me this body then I should be happy with it. Not many people are blessed with a healthy body. Not many people remain illness-free for several years (yup, I haven't been sick since ... I can't even remember!). So yeah, I know I'll never have a reed-thin body. I know I need to work hard to lose weight. But if this is an adventure then I'll take it on willingly because it IS after all for my own good. Hopefully, in the next few months, I'll be more comfortable seeing myself in photos - minus most of the fat. =D

4 comments:

mitzh said...

Goodluck!

It so easy to gain weight and so hard to lose it all...

:P said...

thanks mitzh. how right you are! but this time, when I exercise, I don't grumble but do it heartily and i think that is quite a difference. =D

take care!

Amy said...

I read a study not too long ago that said when people are shown 2 pictures, one of a slender woman and one of an overweight woman, and are asked which is more trustworthy, the vast majority choose the overweight woman. When asked which woman is nicer they generally chose the overweight woman. But when asked which woman was more successful in business they chose the slender woman.

I found that quite interesting, and very comforting because I have a very hard time losing excess weight. So yes, I wish I could be more slender like my mother, but I'm learning to be happier about being a little chubby and more likeable. :)

:P said...

it's nice of you to share this, amy! i feel a lot better now. but of course, for health reasons, I still want to lose some pounds. i'm, no longer after a proportioned body, but just to keep my weight normal. when I achieve that, then I'll be happy despite my existing "preggy" belly. =D

take care! =D