Monday, July 30, 2007

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX


WARNING!! If you haven't watched this movie and plan to do so, then stop reading now.



Yesterday, I finally got the chance to watch Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I wanted to watch the first show but I unfortunately arrived a few minutes late. No worries though, I still went in with the plan of watching the first part later on. I figured I won't miss much during the first few minutes of the movie.

Anyway, I enjoyed this latest flick although the book was definitely much more satisfying. I have several comments though. Firstly, Dolores Umbridge (played by Imelda Staunton) was really not what I pictured her to be. I expected someone I would hate/detest/revile the moment I saw her but Imelda did not evoke these feelings in me, unlike the character in the book. I still think that Imelda's acting was great but it's just that it was not suitable for Dolores' character. Natalia Tena was also not the character I imagined Nymphadora Tonks to be. I was thinking more of an Avril kind of stature but with Meg Ryan hair (that's hot pink of course). So yeah, that was a bit disappointing for me. Anyway, Evanna Lynch playing Luna Lovegood was one of the reasons I liked the movie. I think she's pretty and her voice is just so sweet. Another thing about the movie was Dumbledore. I really really miss Richard Harris who played Dumbledore in the first 2 installments of this movie. Michael Gambon was just not good enough for me. I miss the dignified way Richard Harris would move and speak in his deep widard-y voice and his tall stature made the role so right for him. When I read the book, it is always Richard Harris in my mind's eye as Dumbledore. Sigh. And what's up with making Cho Chang the snitch? I was really bummed about that. And "the kiss". Well it was okay. Nothing really spectacular but then again, I suppose I should be thankful for that. And Helena Bonham Carter playing Bellatrix Lestrange was WOW! She really is a great actress (still remember FightClub). Am looking forward to seeing her in the next installment.

All in all, I guess it's a nice movie. If you can separate the book from it then you would really enjoy it. I suppose that's the most one can do to enjoy watching the movie without thinking about the other scenes in the book that were omitted. Oh well.

2 comments:

mitzh said...

I agree, Richard Harris fits the role better. I don't like Cho Chang..

:P said...

i'm glad you think the same way about Richard Harris. I really wish he could do all the Dumbledore roles. =( Katie Leung playing Cho Chang was not my cup of tea but I suppose ANYONE playing Cho Chang would not have been sufficient because in the book, I really did not like her for Harry in the first place. =P