Thursday, July 19, 2007

MY STUDIES

It really is amazing how much I am learning from my course. There are actually times when I think, "Why didn't I take this sooner?" That's how interesting it has all been to me.

As I proceed with my studies, I learned (and continue to learn) many things about Nikki's and Ethan's personalities. I learned why and how they react to things, how they think, how they interact with each other and other kids. It's really fascinating how suddenly, your mind opens to possibilities, to the ways on how to make your kids grow and develop into their full potential. It's very empowering, I tell you. The other night, Ruther and I discussed Ethan's personality. He has always been headstrong and when I read on the ways to handle his type of personality, I tried some of them. And would you believe, it worked. I was so amazed. I told Ruther about it and he said that yes, we have to consider many factors in handling and interacting with Ethan because of his personality.

Now that I am taking this course, I feel like I am no longer feeling my way through guiding and teaching the boys. Now that I am taking this course, I feel that I am more sure of myself and really, that means a lot. The other day at the mall, I was standing in line waiting to pay Ruther's bill. A woman in her 50s was in front of me, carrying a toddler who seemed ready to jump out of her arms from sheer boredom. Engaging the woman into conversation, I asked her, "Ilang taon na po siya?" (How old is he?) And she said, "Dalawa." (Two.) And then she suddenly told me all about his attachment towards her, and how he refuses to go with his lolo (grandfather) or anyone else except her, and why he's so restless, and how he loves to run around and then let her chase after him, and how he's craving for attention now that there's another baby (who is 7 months) in the family, and how his tantrums have become more rampant. And so, I told her about separation anxiety, the effect of a new baby in the family, sibling rivalry, a typical toddler's personality, testing his boundaries, establishing trust with his primary caregivers (mother and grandmother) and all that. It was really nice, being able to share all this to a stranger just to make her understand her grandchild more and to appreciate him even more. I could tell she looked somewhat relieved when I assured her that his tantrums were partly because of the new baby so they should shower him with affection as well so he would not feel overlooked. I then reassured her further that when the baby is bigger, he will be happy to have a playmate, just as Nikki was when we had Ethan.

I must say that choosing to take this course has been one of the best decisions in my life. I must also say that Ruther's support has made it very easy for me to concentrate on my studies. Now that I have this course in my sleeve, I know that I can now confidently counter any misgivings (and criticisms) people might have about my decision to homeschool the boys. It still won't be easy, but at least now, I am prepared.

2 comments:

mitzh said...

I am so happy and proud of you, Yette!

There's always rainbows, right?

:P said...

thanks for the vote of confidence, mitzh. everyday is a little brighter and gives me more confidence. =D