Saturday, July 21, 2007

SOMETHING NICE

Ruther did something really nice for me today.

Late this afternoon, Ruther told me that there was going to be a matsuri (festival) near Tokaichiba today and he wanted to attend. Since it didn't seem like it was going to rain, I told him to go. He did and went with some friends.

Since I knew that he was going to be home late today, I didn't give it much thought any more. While watching the boys play, the cellphone rang. When I checked caller ID, I saw that it was Ruther. Now when he rings the cellphone, it's my cue to call him back because it's a lot cheaper if we do it this way than the other way around. And so I did. And then he told me what was happening at the festival as it was happening. It may not be a big deal to you but to me it is. For me, there is a huge difference when something was told to me hours after it ocurred or if it was told to me during the actual event. Usually, when Ruther and I talk in the evenings, it's mostly all in the past tense. We did this, he did that, the boys experienced this... It is so rare in our conversations that we actually take part in each others' lives in the present tense. And so tonight was different for me. Tonight was a surprise. Tonight was nice. It gave me a warm feeling that Ruther actually wanted me to be a part of it, to imagine the people around the pagoda dancing, to hear the actual music and the beating of the drums, to listen to the people sing to the music, to feel the excitement in Ruther's voice. It was a wonderful wonderful feeling. After we hung up, there were some tears in my eyes because it was all new and overwhelming. And I really do miss Ruther and Japan.

I really don't know what prompted Ruther to do that tonight; to share the festival with me. I don't know if he realized that I miss his company, that I miss the sights and sounds of Japan, that I value shared memories. It was just a very nice gesture and something that I will not easily forget.

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I understand what you're talking about, Yette. Hubby and I used to be in a long distance relationship. I remember this one time he went to a concert and he made us listen together to his favourite song. It felt really nice, like for a moment we weren't far apart. ;)

:P said...

sigh. it's nice when someone understands what I'm going through. thanks kristine.