Tuesday, October 09, 2007

IMPETIGO

Nikki has impetigo. Sounds really bad, doesn't it? It's a skin infection and looks like a really bad sore. Nikki already has 7 on his body. He actually had only 6 but when I saw another one today I freaked out and decided to bring him to the doctor immediately. It was almost 5pm and I was worried that the pedia's clinic near home would be closed already. But good thing, when we got there, it was still open. So the doctor checked Nikki's sores and I told him the history. Then the doctor told me it was impetigo. I felt kind of relieved that I now know what those sores were and I now know how to (hopefully) prevent another infection. The doctor was nice and I think it would be okay for Nikki to have a regular doctor from now on. We usually go to a pedia that is recommended by Ruther's company but in situations like this, location can be a big plus. And in those clinics we had to wait for like an hour or so until it was our turn. I HATE that. So it's nice that there's a good doctor nearby to calm my nerves when an emergency comes up. Anyway, Nikki has to drink an antibiotic 4 times a day for a week. I'm already dreading it. Wish me (lots of) luck. Hopefully, Nikki will be better once the week of antibiotic-drinking is over.

.....

Impetigo, a contagious skin infection that usually produces blisters or sores on the face and hands, is one of the most common skin infections among kids.
It is generally caused by one of two bacteria: group A streptococcus or staphylococcus aureus. Impetigo usually affects preschool and school-age children, especially in the summer months. A child may be more likely to develop impetigo if the skin has already been irritated or injured by other skin problems, such as eczema, poison ivy, insect bites, or a skin allergy to soap or makeup.
Good hygiene can help prevent impetigo, which often develops when there is a sore or a rash that has been scratched repetitively (for example, poison ivy can get infected and turn into impetigo). Impetigo is typically treated with antibiotics.


http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/impetigo.html

2 comments:

mitzh said...

My daughter had those when she was 1 year and a half (I think), it was summer then. She only had two, so her pedia recommended some ointment instead but no antibiotics.

I agree you should have a pedia whom you can really rely on and know your children's history. And of course the location is really a plus!

:P said...

it's just so worrisome, mitzh...and i so hate forcing the boys to take their medicine. sigh.
hopefully the week will be over soon and nikki will be all better...