Friday, December 07, 2007

GOOD AND BAD

Having purchased a newspaper this morning, I'm thinking of sharing some of today's news with you... (headlines from Inquirer)

GOOD NEWS
1. OFW money powers peso to 41.88 vs US$
2. Mountain bike's downhill rider Joey Barba nails RP's 1st SEA Games gold
3. No typhoon; just rains spawned by cold front


BAD NEWS
1. RP on top 10 list of petty bribery
2. Teen kills 8, self in mall in Omaha, Nebraska
3. Water crisis worsening


There are of course, still other stories but these are the most interesting. When I was in college, I always wanted to read the paper. I would be so interested in the latest news and headlines even if sometimes (or maybe most of the time) they didn't mean anything to me. Ruther's dad would bring home the paper everyday from work and sometimes, I would borrow it to read some of the interesting news and articles. When I would see something really interesting, I would make a note of it and snip it off the next day. With permission of course. It was only later on that I realized I got this queer trait from my mother when I saw her magazine clippings neatly pasted on drawing books. Anyway, after I got married and had kids, I easily got affected by bad news, unsavory politics and tragedies. When I was still single, I could and would easily brush those aside and think, "I am not interested in those things; they do not affect me." I cannot say the same now. When I read about rising prices of oil and commodities, I worry. When I read about the drastic changes in climate, I worry. When I read about shameful government practices, I worry. I admit that sometimes, I allow myself to be enclosed in a protective bubble, especially when I am blissfully happy with my family. I think that by doing that, I am pushing aside all these things from my mind and I try to focus my energy and time with my family instead. But when we go out of the house, the gasoline prices stare at us, poor kids rush into the street to beg for money or food, floods are a constant problem when it rains. I know that I can never run away from these things. I know that sometimes, I prefer to turn a blind eye from helplessness, but I know that I still can help. In my own way. Will write more about that later...

1 comment:

Becky said...

It is hard not to worry about all the bad news in this world, but I take great stock in the fact that the Bible says many times that to do so is futile. It changes nothing. Each day has enough worries of it's own. Instead, we're told to trust in the Lord at all times, and to pray. The Lord is the one who provides for us. In fact, one of His very names (in the original Hebrew language) is Jehovah Jireh, which means "The Lord Will Provide". Trusting him has brought me through some very difficult times in my life, and with joy in spite of difficulty, peace instead of worry. When I find myself prone to worrying about something, instead of letting it overwhelm me, I just pray about it, turn things over to the Lord and leave them there in His capable hands.

My grandparents all lived through the great depression in the U.S. during the 1930's. It was a very difficult time for people here. My grandma said that she doesn't know what she would have done if her mother hadn't had such strong faith in the Lord during those years (incidentally her father died during that time of a T.B. epidemic, too, which increased their difficulties). Her mother's strong faith in the Lord was what gave her family (children) the security of knowing they would be taken care of no matter what came their way. And they were. They always had enough. Not long after my grandma's dad died, her mom died, too. My grandma was only 14 then, and had two younger siblings. Because of my grandmother's love of Jesus and her continued trust in Him throughout her long life, she made it successfully through many difficulties in her long life...a husband at war, health epidemics, grown children at war, her husband's death, and then two grandchildren that preceded her in death. To the day she died, her faith and trust in the Lord was strong and unswerving. Her example helped me to put my trust in the Lord at a very young age, too. Now,whenever I'm prone to worrying about something, I just do as my grandma did and find comfort in the Bible. The book of Psalms has many passages that speak to this.