Monday, January 28, 2008

A COLD

I seem to be suffering from a littel cold today. I'm not sure if it was because it was a bit cold last night and it did rain early this morning. Maybe I kicked off my blanket mid-sleep. I don't know but one thing's for sure, I have a runny nose today. Sigh. It's a bit irritating but well, I have to be glad that it's nothing serious.

.....

Since we're talking about health, I'm kind of worried about Nikki's. He seems to be so unbelievably thin these days. I could really kick myself for trying to wean him when clearly, he was not ready. I should have trusted my instincts before succumbing to pressure from people here in the house. Never again. I'll always think twice (nay, three times) before making decisions about my boys. Anyway, I hope Nikki recovers soon. I am on patrol everyday and monitor his food intake. I try to make him eat or drink milk every 3 hours or so. He eats so little, that's why. Hopefully, he will be less thin by next month. I just don't want him to be this thin at all. It really does worry me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems that a mother's gut instincts are generally the best for her children. I'm sorry you have to make decisions for your boys in that environment.

Family traditions are so different over here...I can't imagine living with my husband's parents. I have trouble accepting their opinions and advice just regarding my dog, and we only visit every couple of months! I can't imagine having them around constantly. And I'm already dreading their suggestions/traditions for when we have children. I just don't agree with some of their ideas.

My heart goes out to you.

Becky said...

While nursing is one of the best things you could do for your child, if you nursed him for even as little as 3 - 6 months, there are great health and emotional benefits for him.

Some younger children do go through stages where they seem thinner than usual, especially if they've just had a growth spurt. It's like their little bodies put everything into sprouting up instead of filling out, which is totally normal. Some children are just built on the slender side. Some also have faster metabolisms than others.

Some children seem to favor proteins, and eat mostly that and maybe a few favorite fruits etc., but this has the natural effect of the popular 'low carb' diets out there, in keeping a person on the leaner side.

I'd maybe consider adding in some whole grain carbs and cheeses to his diet. I'm not sure if 100% whole wheat bread is available there or not, but that is a good one to encourage for snacks and breakfast (either toasted with butter or in sandwich form), as it's loaded with good bone-density nutrients for growing, active boys. Brown rice would be a good one, too.

My youngest is super picky, so I've been making fruit smoothies in the blender. It's mostly a base of plain yogurt which I add goat milk powder or a half-cup of oatmeal to fortify it with extra nutrients, then I add 100% juice (apple, pomegranate, orange or acai, for instance) and add frozen banana chunks and frozen berries to. It makes a thicker smoothie, but after a recent bout with the flu, his digestive system was pretty touchy, but he would drink these, along with eating lots of toast, and it seems to have done the trick in getting his appetite back.

Anyway, don't know if that helps or not, but these things seem to work with my boys (both of which tend to be thin but dense due to all the whole grains in their diets building good, strong bones).