Sunday, March 30, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY!

Yesterday was my mom's birthday. She's 57 years old (shhh! don't tell her I said so). She's really very particular about revealing her age. I suppose that's because she's the eldest child and perhaps feels like everyone else is younger than her. I also think it's because as she draws near her 60th birthday it really makes you think about your mortality. And my mom can be so paranoid (I know because I think I got that trait from her - haha!)

My mom is really great. A bit overprotective when we were growing up, but I understand her reasons. Because of her, I learned ballet, piano, singing, baking and drawing/painting. Of course, I'm not an expert on those things but I still appreciate the exposure. Because of those lessons and learning the theories, I am now a bit more confident in teaching Nikki and Ethan music and arts. I mean, at least I don't feel like I don't know anything about those things. Another thing I learned from my mom is putting family first. I really appreciate the closeness we had and have until now and I hope that I can also do the same with my family. Despite living in different cities, we still keep in touch often and I really like that.

I guess my mom's greatest influence on me would be reading. Because of her, I really learned to appreciate books and to love reading. Because of her influence, I was able to stretch my imagination in many different ways and was able to create a world of my own through books. I also hope to influence my boys as well and make them interested in reading. I hope to one day, fill the house with so many books that would spark their interest in so many things. Well, hopefully, that's not too far-fetched.

There was a time when, after spending a year in college and going back home to Zamboanga for the summer, I realized that my mom looked older than when I left her the previous year. And at that moment, I got scared because it was like a reality check that my parents will get old whether I notice it or not. And really, as much as losing them scares me, I know that our time on earth is limited and we just have to make the most of our time with our loved ones. Which is why, whenever my mom comes over for a visit, I really really appreciate the time we have together. Our recent trip to Baguio was one of the nicest vacations we've had and I hope that we would still have a lot of those in the coming years.

My mom is not perfect but she's been a wonderful mom to my sibling and me and I thank God for blessing me with someone who takes such good care of her family. Happy birthday Mommy! I love you! =D

2 comments:

Becky said...

Aww, that was a beautiful tribute to your mommy.

I think you've taken after her in a lot of the same ways being a good mom who puts her family first. And that's a beautiful thing.

Anonymous said...

My mom turns 60 this year, which is kind of freaking her out. She's not upset about aging, she's more confused as to how she can be 60. As in, when did that happen?? :)

I hope to be so lucky. :)