Tuesday, March 18, 2008

SUMMER

It's definitely summertime here. Not only has it been warm these past couple of days but it's been quite humid as well. Yup, flipflops, perspiration and sunblock are here to stay. Well, at least until May, that is.

I think I better buy the boys another inflatable pool as a way to keep them cool from the heat. The one they have (or should I say, had) has several holes in it so I guess it's no good except maybe for their colored balls. Anyway, I will have to check those pools out the next time I go to the mall.

.....

Holy Week is finally here. No, we're not vacationing anywhere. It's really weird but in Zamboanga, when it's Holy Week (called Semana Santa here), we don't usually traipse around the country. For my family, it's considered almost sinful. During Holy Week we usually do the Bisita Iglesia (church visits), and the Way of the Cross, and prayers and meditation and of course, fasting and abstinence. Starting from Holy Thursday, loud music and celebration is prohibited. My siblings and I would feel really guilty when we would watch tv and laugh loudly and be shushed by our parents. In Manila, Holy Week for most usually means vacation time. A month or so before Holy Week, you'd see ads in the paper about promo tours for families and individuals who would want to take advantage of the long weekend. It's really their choice of course, but it kind of bothers me a bit when people put so little meaning in the Lenten season. Anyway, those are my issues, so I'll shut up now.

Anyway, I think it's going to be a quiet Holy Week for me and my boys. We'll just be here, eagerly awaiting Easter Sunday.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I, too, appreciate a quiet, reverent week before Easter, considering all that Jesus did for mankind.

I remember as a child being totally shocked when stores in our hometown were open on Sundays. And then Easter Sunday.