Friday, April 11, 2008

NIKKI ICE SKATES

Last Monday, the boys and I went to the mall together with my sister and brother. My sister wanted to buy some things there and we decided to tag-along to escape the summer heat and at the same time, have a bit of fun. Anyway, while we were there we passed by the skating rink and I thought that maybe it would be nice for Nikki to try it. (I decided against letting Ethan try it because I was not in the mood to chase him around the ice just in case he gets away from me. Besides, I had to video Nikki as well.) I asked Nikki if it was all right and he said yes. So, we inquired at the booth. I wanted Nikki to have a coach with him for his first time but I didn’t want to wait for a long time in case there was a queue. Fortunately, there were only a few skaters there so we paid the fees and Nikki geared up. He looked so cute with his yellow helmet. And he was so excited. Ethan was getting all excited too but I told him that Nikki was going alone and he could have his turn next time. We waited for a few minutes until a coach became available. Nikki’s introductory lesson was for 30 minutes. I figured that would be sufficient for a first-timer like Nikki. This way it won’t take too long in case Nikki gets tired. Anyway, the coach assigned to Nikki was nice and very patient. When Nikki refused to let go of him almost the entire time during their session, he did not mind. I just took photos and videos the entire time while cheering Nikki from the side. After fifteen minutes on the ice, they both came out of the rink. The coach informed me that Nikki had good balance but he was just too nervous about falling. He also told me that while they were on the rink and he let go of Nikki for a little while, my little boy told him, “I need somebody! Please don’t leave me!” Of course, he reassured the anxious Nikki that he would not let him fall. Anyway, Nikki thought that he was done but I told him to try again. Besides, we paid for a 30-minute lesson! So he gamely went out into the ice again with his coach and this time he was a bit more confident. When his lesson was over, he was all smiles and I was glad that he enjoyed the experience. The coach advised me that next time Nikki skates, it would be best for him to have a familiar companion who could skate along with him on the ice; one who was not afraid of falling or skating. So, I thought that perhaps next time, Ethan could have a go at it as well. This boy is never scared of falling, that’s for sure.
Come evening, we told Ruther about Nikki’s first skating experience. He was happy that Nikki had fun. Me, I’m just glad that Nikki had the experience. We still don’t know when another opportunity will come when we could pass by the mall again to ice skate but if we do happen to make it there, we’ll surely add it to our itinerary.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Oh, I used to LOVE to skate...Ice Skating, roller skating, in-line skating...I loved it.

And then one day I got old, and it became more about not breaking bones than trying to have fun, so I gave it up.

But it's great to encourage these things while they're young. Who knows, they could be Olympic Contenders one day!