Thursday, July 24, 2008

EARTHQUAKE

As I was nodding off to sleep last night, I felt the floor shake. It actually felt like an invisible hand was shaking me. The first time I experienced an earthquake in Japan was not like this. I just felt like I was dizzy. I didn't realize that it was an earthquake until Ruther mentioned it to me. The second time was stronger (a lot stronger than I would have wanted it to be) and it was side-to-side. It occurred when we were lying in bed early morning (Ruther was fast asleep while I was so scared) and I saw the lamp above me sway. I waited for the shaking to stop. Okay, to be honest, I was waiting for people to run out (maybe panic-stricken) of their rooms because I was going to get Ruther and the boys out of the apartment in 5 seconds when that happened but everything was quiet and so I thought to myself, "This must be a pretty weak one for people not to care." So, I went back to sleep. Or tried to. Last night's earthquake was strong and it took a long time to stop. I was almost fully asleep when I felt the earthquake and I snapped out of my stupor just in case some of the things in the room would start falling. Well, a few things did fall but there was no harm done. I just a bit of difficulty going back to sleep after that so I just read my book and then after a few minutes, I nodded off.

When Ruther checked the earthquake location and affected areas this morning, this is what we saw:



Really a lot of affected areas, huh. I have yet to post the legend of all those colored dots but at least you have an idea of where the earthquake hit. It's just too bad the boys were asleep when it happened. It would have been a learning experience for them to feel an actual earthquake.

Anyway, I'm glad nothing serious happened. Of course, I mean in our area. I'm not sure about the other locations but I still hope there weren't any casualties.

No comments: