Tuesday, July 29, 2008

RAIN

It unexpectedly rained today. It was quite strong and the rain even came into the room when a gusty wind blew. I had to close the windows completely which was a bummer because I always want to feel the cold air enter the room on a rainy day. The only good thing about the weather this afternoon was that we didn't have to turn the AC on to make the boys comfortable. The fan was sufficient. The unfortunate thing though, was that the rain lasted only about an hour or so. So now it's quite warm again.

.....

I love those handy umbrella bags. You know, those long plastic bags you insert your umbrellas into once you get out of the rain and into a mall or supermarket or establishment. I think it's very neat. Of course, the downside there is that it's made of plastic and well, there goes the environment, but the first time I came to Japan and used those bags, I thought it was quite inventive. Umbrella bags aren't a common thing in the Philippines where you usually have to leave umbrellas either on an umbrella stand (and go back for it at your own risk - it might not be there anymore) or package counter (where it's safer). I don't think umbrella bags will be a hit in the Philippines. Aside from additional production costs, our weather bureau pretty much sucks so the only time you'll know it's going to rain is when droplets of water hits you from the sky or when a typhoon is right smack in the country. So people make do with what they have and even banana leaves come in very handy. It's biodegradable too.

.....

I've been thinking of getting my mom one of those cute cloth umbrellas here. I've seen a lot of women go around with those cute umbrellas and I'm sure she'll love to have one of those. She's really an umbrella person. If the sun would hit her for a mere 5 seconds, she would still use her umbrella. Come to think of it, I should get my sister a cloth umbrella too. She's so much like my mom I'm sure it will be a perfect pasalubong for them.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Living in the desert, it's not often we have need of umbrellas, but I remember as a kid in the greater Seattle, Washington area (notorious for it's rain), dripping umbrellas (especially on slipperly linoleum hallways) were a bit of a problem. Those little bags would have been a great solution. Even just a matching nylon umbrella bag that came with the umbrella and could be stored in a little pocket attached to the handle somehow when not in use would be ideal.