Wednesday, October 29, 2008

DAY INTO NIGHT

Growing up in a tropical country means pretty much constant days. You know when it's dawn (the sky is a light-purplish blue with the sun peeking from a corner), when it's noon (it's sweltering and you try to stay in the shadows as much as you can to get away from the sun's rays and heat) and when it's dusk (the sky is red-orange that turns darker and darker as the sun goes down the horizon). Yes, pretty constant. Sometimes, I don't even need a watch. I just have to look out the window and I know what time it is.

Autumn in Japan is a really fascinating experience. Here, it's only 430pm but it looks like it's 6pm back home. I'm still not used to this because when I see the darkening sky I always feel like I should start cooking dinner but when I glance at the clock, it's only 445pm! The early-setting sun is (I'll say it again) fascinating. I know that for most people who live in countries with 4 seasons this is nothing. But for me and the boys, it's actually really fun. I remember one time when I was younger, I was watching a tv show. There were kids playing in the backyard and their mom came out and called to them, "Kids! Come inside! It's time for supper!" And I was so surprised because it looked like it was in the middle of the afternoon! And they were going to eat supper? I asked my mom about it but I still could not fully understand then why 7pm in the Philippines was different from what I saw on tv. I could not understand why they were eating dinner when the sun was still high in the sky. But of course, now I know and now I understand. But again, knowing and understanding is different from experiencing. And let me tell you, experiencing is a whole lot better than knowing and understanding.

The days are getting shorter and I suppose the biggest problem is grabbing as much of the sun's heat as possible for the laundry to dry but other than that, we don't mind the early nights. Like I said in my previous post, we're trying to experience fully the fall season and so far, we like what we're getting.

Can't wait for winter...

No comments: