Monday, October 20, 2008

FEELING, BEING SAFE

I really love how safe I feel whenever we're in Japan. I grew up sheltered and when I went to Manila for college, I was really aghast at the high crime rate in the Metropolis. I have to admit that there were many instances (maybe 3) where I was swindled by smooth-talking crooks on my way to school. And I cannot even count the times I lost my wallet to thieves that eventually, I tucked a note inside my wallet that said "To whoever finds this wallet: You may take all the money inside but kindly return my IDs and photos." Yeah, I know. It's silly but when you lose your wallet like half a dozen times you get fed up of renewing cards and IDs.

Coming to Japan is like learning to relax for the first time. It's only here in Japan that I don't have to stay on guard all the time. In the Philippines, I would get so stressed when the boys and I go to the mall or out of the house because not only do I have to watch the boys closely, I have to keep track of our bags and make sure the zipper is zipped or the snaps are fastened, to be wary of strangers and suspicious people, to be mindful of the reckless drivers on the street and to stay away from smoking commuters whose secondhand smoke finds its way into our lungs. In Manila, I have to always dress according to the destination. When I go to Baclaran, I can't go with jewelry or fancy clothes. I'll be like a beacon to thieves. When I ride the jeepneys or commute, I have to make sure my bag is always in front of me. I hardly ever use backpacks in Manila because I lost my wallet twice that way. Also, whenever I'm out of the house and in public, I always have to dress down because I just don't want to attract attention. It's of course, different when we go to the mall and someone drives us. It's always safer that way and I don't have to worry about dressing nicely.

Japan is just so safe. I know that it's not really crime-free but compared to Manila, I just feel that I could breathe and relax here. Here are some reasons why:

  • I can wear nice clothes and a bit of jewelry when I go out and I don't have to worry about being targetted by thieves.
  • I could walk with an iPod or a cellphone in my hand and not worry that someone is going to snatch it away in an instant.
  • I could take my boys to the playground at 7pm, let them play and have fun and not worry that something bad is going to happen to us.
  • When I forget to lock the door and it's 10pm, I'm not worried that someone will come in and rob us.
  • We could leave the windows unlocked the whole night without fear that someone is going to climb in, steal everything inside or do us harm.
  • When a police officer approaches, I know I could trust him (whole other story in Manila) and he will not take advantage of me.
  • When I am lost, I know that people will do their best to help me and not trick me or cause me harm.
  • I could jog at 7 in the evening without worries that I'm going to get mugged or harassed.
  • We could walk on an unlit street and I don't have to be afraid that a bad person is hiding in the shadows waiting to harm my family.
  • I could cross the street without holding my boys' hands and not worry that a reckless driver is going to beat the red light and run over one of my boys.
  • I don't have to worry about secondhand smoke too much.
  • When I'm out with the boys and I discover that my bag was left unzipped the whole time, I don't have to check if my wallet is gone.
  • When we're at the playground, I could leave my bag on the bench and not worry that it's going to disappear when I look away for a second.
  • Since we arrived here in Japan, we left Ethan's stroller outside the apartment and as of tonight, it's still there, intact, unvandalized and unstolen.

These are all the things I could remember for now but I'm sure there are still a lot instances why I feel so safe here. This is just one of the many reasons why I would love to live here with the boys and Ruther. I know it's an expensive country and the standard of living is high but I am adaptable, resourceful and I'm sure with God's help we'll manage and get by. And did I mention I just love Japan a lot? I think it would be wonderful to work here, bring the kids up here, homeschool here, take care of my family here and make new memories here. I think that this is definitely a great country and I hope that we can (and will) be here to stay.

1 comment:

Becky said...

My sister who is living in Japan currently has said the same thing. She said it feels very safe when she's out and about, and that the people there are very courteous.

Are you looking to emigrate there permanently or like on work visas? That'd be so great for your family.I'll be praying that the Lord's perfect will is made clear to you, and that everything will fall into place to stay.