Thursday, April 23, 2009

NO NAP

For four days now, Ethan has refused to nap in the afternoons. Even if I dim the room, or turn on the air conditioning to make them comfy, or make sure the room is quiet, he still won't go to sleep. He would either talk to himself quietly or just stare at the ceiling or just walk around the room quietly. Nikki still naps and he needs all the rest he can get after his recent hospitalization but I'm a bit worried about Ethan. Well, not really worried, but I would still want him to nap every other day. I don't know why but when we were little and refused to nap in the afternoons, our elders would warn us that we wouldn't grow as tall as we possibly can. I still don't know if that's true but I would want to see Ethan grow taller than me when he reaches puberty.

Anyway, there's a good perk to Ethan's nap refusal. This afternoon, we spent some time together; some Ethan and Mommy bonding time. I suppose, since Ethan never got to experience being an only child, it helps to spend some alone time with him. And it was nice walking with him and going to the bank with him and going to the supermarket with him without Nikki for a change. Nikki can be so obsessive-compulsive which I feel stifles Ethan somewhat so some moments without big brother Nikki is good.

In Japan, I remember, we attended a barbeque once with some of Ruther's Japanese friends and some of them brought their kids along. At around 2pm, the boys settled down and napped on a mat. Ruther's Japanese friends asked him (Ruther told me about this on our way home) if it was a usual thing for our kids to nap at that time and Ruther said yes. So the other kids played and ran and did their thing while my boys slept. When I told my sis about it she said, "No wonder they are small!" Hahaha! Different cultures, all right.

I don't know how long this no-nap thing is going to last but I sure wish Ethan would try napping some time. He's such a hyper kid and he really needs his rest. Ruther says not napping in the afternoon would mean he would get to sleep earlier at night and that's true. But it would still be nice to see him doze for even an hour or so just so he could get some rest.

No comments: