Wednesday, May 20, 2009

SOROBAN AND GLASSES

At last we finally got the soroban and workbooks I ordered from mathabacus.com. It’s been weeks since I ordered them and Nikki (who’s not the most patient boy in the word) kept on asking me when they were going to arrive. So I emailed the customer service of the company and they said that it was on its way here.

This morning, a notice from the post office arrived and after Nikki’s eye check-up (which I will talk about later), we headed to the post office and claimed the package, but not before having to pay P955 for customs fees!! My goodness! I suppose it’s a good thing it was only a soroban and books inside or who knows how much they’d have charged me!! Anyway, Nikki was pretty exctied about using it and we tried it out earlier. He was really great in using the correct fingers to move the beads around and from now on I’m planning to use the abacus everytime we do our math lessons. I think it’s a great learning tool and if it makes learning math a whole lot more fun for my boy then we’ll use it always.

…..

Nikki’s eye check-up went pretty well today. We went to an oththalmologist, one who was referred to us by our HMO. She was really kind and accommodating. I started telling her about Nikki’s squinting and after doing an initial exam, she concluded that he will indeed, need glasses. But the exam is not done yet. We will need to go back on Monday because I’ll have to apply drops in Nikki’s eye for 3 days to disable temporarily his focusing ability so she could get a more accurate reading of his grade. So I’ll be doing that on Friday, Saturday and Sunday because the doctor won’t be available this weekend. After that, we will be getting Nikki’s new glasses. I’m thinking of getting him a couple just so he has an extra one ready. We’ll see how he’ll look with his new specs! :D

No comments: