Tuesday, December 28, 2010

BACK TO WORK

Yesterday was a holiday here so it's back to work for Ruther today. He's still a bit bummed about it but I'm quite sure he had fun yesterday because he got his new iPhone 4. I'm not one to question his taste in gadgets. When something new is out, he's sure to know about it.

This means, I'll be using his old iPhone for myself and Nikki will have my current cellphone. This is great because at times when we're out and the boys are home, it's so hard to know how they are without having to call landline. So now that we've got an extra cellphone, Nikki will start using it. Hopefully, he'll postpone using it to call girls until a few years.

.....

Today was laundry day. Since the helper here at home went back to her provincial home for the holidays, I had to take over some of the chores. And I had to do the laundry today because the mountain of clothes was just too much.

I remember when "doing the laundry" meant going to the nearby river with a metal basin (that looked like a huge beercap - gosh! wish I had a photo of that), a bar of soap and this flat wooden paddle. The paddle would be used as a surface for washing the clothes and the labandera would rub the soap onto the clothes more efficiently using this paddle because the river edge would be all uneven and pebbly. The paddle is also used to whack the clothes to get rid of dirt and grime in those clothes that couldn't be washed by hand like heavy tapestries or jeans.

Today though, the washing machine helps a whole lot. So when I say I'm going to do the laundry, it doesn't hold that much terror and tediousness as those days when we had to do it by hand. All I have to do is just put the clothes in the washing machine, pour in the soap and then all I gotta do is hang them.

Nice. :D

No comments: