Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A RAINY YESTERDAY

Yesterday it rained the whole day and even through the night. It was a problem for me earlier that day because I had to buy milk and diapers for the boys. Realizing there was no way of accomplishing that without going out in the rain, I dressed the boys up, gave each of them an umbrella and we headed for the supermarket. Ethan, the water lover that he is, did not make so much use of his umbrella and I had to remind him to cover himself every 10 seconds because he would look up into the sky with his mouth wide open. Silly boy. Nikki did a great job staying dry and making sure he was at the immediate center of the umbrella the whole time. By the time we reached the supermarket, I was partially wet and Ethan looked like had a bath. After purchasing most of the things we needed, I was disappointed to see that the rain did not let up. So, trudging home, I did my best to shelter Ethan from the rain but it was no good. He kept on running ahead and all I could do was tell him to come back because my hands were heavy with bags and I could not run along with him. When we reached home, he was completely wet so I gave him a warm bath and he enjoyed it as much as the rain, I suppose.

.....

That night, when we were about to sleep, I noticed a white light flash on the curtains. I asked Ruther, "Was that lightning?" We realized it was when we heard a distant rumbling. Pretty soon, the thunder grew louder and we were surprised when after a particularly loud rumble, Ethan jumped in-between Ruther and me on the futon. He was scared of the thunder! How do you explain to a 3-year-old that it was a harmful, natural phenomenon? Well, Ruther tried to reassure him but Ethan would not budge. So, he had to wait for him to fall asleep before transferring him. Well, I hope he'll over come this fear. Ethan is usually very curious, adventurous and daring. I would not want him to be afraid of the world just because of this incident.

No comments: