Friday, January 19, 2007

TO SMOKE OR NOT TO SMOKE

My father-in-law started smoking again. This saddened me because he already stopped, I think, 2 years ago. I don't know if he can stop again but I sure don't want him to get sick later on. Because of this, I researched more on the effects of smoking and this is what I found out:


Did you know that each puff of smoke inhaled from a cigarette contains 4 billion particles of dust?
.....

More than 400,000 deaths in the U.S. each year are from smoking-related illnesses. Smoking greatly increases your risks for lung cancer and many other cancers.
.....

Secondhand smoke from a parent's cigarette increases a child's chances for middle ear problems, causes coughing and wheezing, and worsens asthma conditions.
.....

Quitting smoking cuts the risk of lung cancer, many other cancers, heart disease, stroke, other lung diseases, and other respiratory illnesses. (My father-in-law suffered a stroke due to the effects of long-term smoking.)
.....


1 comment:

Rainbow dreams said...

good on him - he can stop again - it's hard, I saw my Mum try several times before she succeeded and Rob stopped before we got married, but it was hard, good luck to him