Sunday, March 25, 2007

MURPHY'S LAW OF PARENTING

I think this is a nice article. =D


Murphy's Laws of Parenting: If it can happen at the wrong time, it will
by Jennifer Saltiel

The other day, I was bundling up my seven-month-old for a stroll in the park. I changed her diaper and put on her onesie, her pants, her sweater, her jacket, her hat and her booties. Then I fastened her into the stroller and neatly tucked a blanket over her little legs. Just as we were heading out the door, I heard the telltale grunting that let me know that she would soon be in need of another diaper change. Ugh! It's one of the Murphy's Laws of Parenting that I have discovered: The minute you've fully dressed your baby, she will poop.

There are other Murphy's Laws of Parenting. Perhaps you too have found your life governed by the following:

  • Upon removal of the baby's bib, even after baby has burped, the baby will inevitably spit up.
  • Hand-me-down outfits stay perfectly clean. New ones are spit up on.
  • Corollary #1: The more the outfit cost, the more the baby will spit up on it.
  • Corollary #2: If mother is wearing a ratty old T-shirt, not a drop of drool will come out of baby's mouth. If mother puts on a new cashmere sweater, whammo!
  • If baby has been an absolute angel all day while alone with mother, baby will fuss and cry the minute a play date begins.
  • The baby will sleep when mother needs her to be awake (like during a music class or when someone has dropped by to see the precious one) and stay awake when mother needs baby to be asleep (for instance, at 10pm when mother wants to go to bed).
  • Baby shall always achieve a new milestone, such as rolling over onto her tummy, the minute mother leaves the room. Someone else will witness it, in order that mother may be told how great it was and what a shame it was that she missed it. (I'm sure Emma will say her first word when I am out of earshot.)
I'm sure I could think of more, but I hear my daughter crying in her crib. Normally, she takes a two-hour nap in the afternoon, but today she decided to sleep just a half an hour. Murphy's Law, I tell you!

No comments: