Saturday, April 21, 2007

LIMBO NO MORE

I just read in an article on how the Roman Catholic Church dismissed the concept of limbo after thousands of years of teaching. From the article: Limbo, which comes from the Latin word meaning "border" or "edge," was considered by medieval theologians to be a state or place reserved for the unbaptized dead, including good people who lived before the coming of Christ. "People find it increasingly difficult to accept that God is just and merciful if he excludes infants, who have no personal sins, from eternal happiness, whether they are Christian or non-Christian," the document said. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070420/ts_nm/pope_limbo_dc

When I was little, I heard about limbo and I thought that it must be a sad sad place for all those babies who died and were never baptized. Only when I was in High School and studied Catechism that I thought, "What about other religions? They don't have the Sacrament of Baptism. Does this mean that God will not welcome them in His Kingdom when they die?" So, I thought then limbo just existed in the Catholic teachings. And it appears that I was right. After all, why should the innocent little babies go to limbo just because they have the stain of the original sin? I think other people have done much worse than that (ex. Va. Tech). So yes, I think it's for the best that this concept was scrapped. But I still think that the Sacrament of Baptism is holy, that Catholic babies should have it and I hope that God saves all the unborn and unbaptized babies who died so that their souls will rest in peace.

No comments: