Wednesday, June 20, 2007

MIXING COLORS

Today, my mother-in-law and I went to a paint dealer to have the paint for Ruther's and my room mixed. It's a sort of sage green color. Why did I pick it? Because Ruther's favorite color is green and because it's such a relaxing color. Our old room was old rose and Ruther said it was too stimulating sometimes. So this time, I opted for a cool green to give the room a relaxing feel. The boys' room is an apple green color and it suits their room just fine. Anyway, the paint dealer is just right outside our subdivision. It was recommended by a neighbor so we did not have difficulty finding it. Just to be sure, I brought my magazine with me so they could copy the room color perfectly. I watched while the guy started to mix the colors. He used colors blue, green, beige and white. During the first mix, it was too light so he added more green and blue. After the second mix, it was too green so he added more blue and a bit of green and some beige. He got it on the third try. It was really fascinating watching the guy mix colors behind the counter. I was thinking, "this is such a cool job!" and at the same time, I was thinking that if it were me behind the counter, I would botch up the mixing because I had no idea how much to add or what colors to pick. Anyway, it was really fascinating to watch. =D After he got the right color for my room, he mixed some yellow paint for my brother-in-law's room. My brother-in-law picked a sort of sunflower yellow color so the guy mixed some yellow ochre, yellow and white paint. It also took him 3 tries to get the right color. And again, I really could not help watching how he mixed the colors. It looked like a lot of fun! At that time, I was thinking of what else I was going to paint in my room because I want him to mix more colors! Hahaha! Silly me. But anyway, after that, I paid for my can which only cost P500 (approximately US$10.90) a gallon. The man behind the counter assured us that if the paint was not enough, we could always bring the can back so he could mix more of the paint. Cool.

Now I can't wait to see the paint on the walls. *rubs hands together* Aren't I excited? =D

2 comments:

mitch said...

Nakakaaliw nga yan. My dad used to mix paint for when we need some painting done around the house. Nakakatuwa how they change colors, and how they seemingly add colors unrelated to the final color to get the desired hue. Parang minsan nga, you just want to hang around the hardware shops to watch them do that. I found out pa dito, they have a machine na. You can bring a sample of the color you want, they just scan it and the mixing is done by machine na. Saves a lot of time, pero baduy!

:P said...

ang galing nga ng mga nagmi-mix ng paint e. i also experienced the machine mixer at Ace. it was okay but not that fascinating to me. when I saw the guy mix the paints, nakakatuwa talaga kasi he did not need any measuring cups or what. he just poured and added and mixed. ang galing talaga! =D