Wednesday, August 22, 2007

MANGOSTEEN


I love eating this fruit. But of course, sweet mangoes are still my favorite. Anyway, these were given by my cousin who went home to Zamboanga to attend our barrio fiesta. August 16 was the Feast of San Roque and that's the name of our baranggay. I always remember inviting our teachers for lunch to our house during our fiesta. Before you say I'm trying to be a teacher's pet, I'm not. My mom was a teacher in my school so she invited her co-teachers.
Anyway, I digress... Mangosteens are yummy. A bit heavy (when you have like a dozen with you) and a bit messy but love the texture. I always eat mangosteen with soy sauce. Don't ask why, I just do. I suppose it's a quirk of mine. I just love the saltiness of the soy sauce mixed with the sweet flavor and texture of the mangosteen. Anyway, hope to eat more of this before it goes out of season.
.....
And while we're at it, a little info from Wikipedia:
The mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) is a tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated in the Sunda Islands and the Moluccas. The tree grows from 7 to 25 meters tall. The rind (exocarp) of the edible fruit is deep reddish purple when ripe. Botanically an aril, the fragrant edible flesh is sweet and creamy, citrusy with some peach flavor. Often heralded as the "Queen of Fruits"[1], mangosteen is closely related to other edible tropical fruits such as button mangosteen and lemondrop mangosteen.

2 comments:

Mommy Chi said...

gosh, miss ko na yang mangosteen.. mahirap maghanap nun dito.

:P said...

i know how you feel chi. when I was in japan super miss ko yung mga food ng pinas. that was the longest I've been away kasi e.