Friday, September 28, 2007

ALLERGY?

Yesterday Ethan had these red blotches all over his tummy, arms and thighs and some on his face. I took one look at them and suspected it was a rash from an allergic reaction. To what, I don't know yet. I have been racking my brains on what Ethan ate, on where he went or what he did the previous days and I'm still stumped. I KNOW it's an allergic reaction because I used to have those. I would get these hideous hives all over my body. I distinctly remember one night, I woke up (I think it was around 1am) and I was covered with these really HUGE hives. I looked like I had a map on my body! My face was swollen and I was covered in these huge welts from the top of my head to the soles of my feet. It was soooo itchy, I had to get up, go to the bathroom and turn on the shower to "hot" and I stayed there for a few minutes just to relieve the itch. I then went to my parents' room because the Caladryl was there and because I was covered in hives, I used it like lotion. I poured a good amount in the palm of my hand and I spread it all over the bumps, welts and itch. A few minutes after I did that, I just felt like my insides were sooo cold. I felt my knees shake and weaken and I told my mom, "Mommy, I don't feel well." Of course, my panicky mom brought me to the hospital right away and I got a shot on my arm which relieved the itchiness IMMEDIATELY. I was really happy about that. But the next morning, when I saw myself in the mirror I was horrified! I was covered in pink!! I forgot about the Caladryl on my body! I went to the hospital looking like a pink alien from who knows where! Oh my goodness, I will never forget that.

Anyway, going back to Ethan, the redness seems to have subsided this morning, but he still complains of itchiness. So I have to continue giving him his antihistamine today. I hope this will go away soon. I hate seeing him so uncomfortable. My sis (who is a doctor) is coming home tonight and she said she'll check on Ethan later. Goody.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Russell has the same problem. It was worse when he was younger. His allergies are seasonal, so on high pollen days his face gets puffy, he gets itchy blotches all over, and he takes his allergy meds. I always feel bad for him when he can't sleep because he feels like a swollen, itchy mess. Poor baby. :(

Whenever I have an itchy rash I use that sunburn relief gel with aloe and litocain. I swear by it. :)

:P said...

thanks for the tip, amy! will try that gel... =D