Tuesday, December 11, 2007

BIBINGKA

Q: What is bibingka?

A: Bibingka, above, is a rice cake similar to the Western pancake in appearance. In taste, texture and way of cooking, however, they are very much different from each other. Bibingka is made from galapong (galapong is glutinous rice soaked in water then ground with the water to form either a batter or a dough, depending on what the cooked dish is supposed to be), baked in a special clay pot, lined with a piece of banana leaf, with live coals on top and underneath. It is topped with slices of kesong puti (white cheese) and itlog na maalat (salted duck eggs). The newly-cooked bibingka is spread with butter and sometimes sprinkled with sugar then served with niyog (grated coconut). (from pinoycook.net)

.....

I really don't know why but for the past few days I have been craving for bibingka. Maybe it's because of the cool weather, maybe it's because it's so attached to Philippine Christmas celebrations, but really, whenever I am at the mall, I just make a beeline towards the bibingka stands. I can be so weird sometimes. A few weeks ago, I was in a cream puff craze. Now it's bibingka. I wonder what it'll be next...

Anyway, the bibingka sold at SM is quite yummy too. The bibingka is soft and yummy and they serve it with muscovado or brown sugar and some shredded coconut. The bibingka sold there is usually as big as a saucer and costs around P42 (approx. US$1) if I'm not mistaken. But I also like the bibingka sold at the Waray-waray Bibingkahan stands at the malls. Their bibingka is smaller but just as tasty and just as soft. I usually buy a box of 6 (costs around P120+). They have the regular and the special (with itlog na maalat) bibingka. I prefer the sepcial ones of course. It's really no problem if I can't finish the box of bibingka because even after storing them in the refrigerator, all you have to do is just pop it into the microwave or oven toaster for a minute or so and it's still soft and yummy and just as delicious. But usually, a box of 6 does not last long in the house. =D

Anyway, who knows how long this bibingka craving of mine will last? As long as I keep on finding yummy bibingkas out there, I'll surely keep on eating them.

Want some?
Looks yummy, don't they? =D

1 comment:

Becky said...

I might have had those before, just not knowing what they were called. When I was a girl, we had a neighbor from the Philippines, and early one Saturday morning we were all playing outside, and when she called her daughter in for breakfast, invited us, too. And they were good.