Monday, January 21, 2008

BOHOL - FRIDAY PART 2



And there we were, stepping on the sands of Alona Beach.

The morning light made everything look so bright and vibrant. The sky was an electric blue and the wonderful coconut trees along the shore made everything look so lush. The water was calm and the boats and bancas adorned the sea. It was exhilarating having to inhale the sea air. I could tell that mornings are slow on this beach. On Alona Beach, you did not have to bring a watch. All you needed to do was to let go and live.


The boys were suddenly alive, running to and fro, checking the sand, the water, the shells, the pebbles. They just wanted to take everything in. They waded in the cool water, checked out hermit crabs (who scampered away as fast as they could), and basked in the sun. While they frolicked, Ruther and I breakfasted nearby in the restaurant of Alona Tropical. I loved the ambiance. It was just all so relaxing, to eat and look out into the sea. After breakfast, Ruther and I changed and then pretty soon, all of us were in the water. While wading into deeper water (knee-high) I found some sea cucumbers and they were gently swaying with the water current. At first I thought they were trash but when I looked more closely, I realized they were sea cucumbers. I told Nikki and Ethan to tread carefully but of course, they were too busy swimming in their floaties to care. We also found lots of shells (but we put them back into the water) and also saw some fish in the water but they were sand-colored that they were perfectly camouflaged and unless they would swim fast, the boys had a bit of difficulty seeing them. The water was a bit cold so we headed for shore and while I made our names on the sand, Ruther took photos and the boys played with their beach toys. At around 1030 a.m. Nikki got sleepy and since it was still some time before we could get our room (it was occupied), we told him to just stay in a shade for a few more minutes. At 1130, we headed back and thank goodness, our room was ready. We brought all our stuff into the room and then I bathed the boys and in an instant, they were asleep. I loved our room. We ended up with Room number 15A and our neighbor in Room 15B was a foreign couple. Actually, I noticed that most of the vacationers at Alonaland were foreigners. Anyway, we have 2 twin beds, cable tv, air conditioning, refrigerator, a kitchen, and hot shower. Not bad for P1500 per night, right? Some resorts charge per person per night and I find their prices ludicrous. I mean, we're not all born millionaires! So anyway, after having a quick bath ourselves, Ruther and I headed for the canteen to get some water (the big gallon costs P60) and other necessary things. After unpacking some of our things, we were tired out so we drifted off to slumberland.

We woke up at around 4pm and Ruther and I were so hungry because we missed lunch. So we went to the canteen and they only served sausages there. We therefore had no choice but to order that. Ruther got bratwurst and I picked veal sausage. A plate cost P120 which includes the huge sausage, a piece of wheat bread and some mustard. I was skeptical about the price and the serving but when I tried the sausages, they were yummy so I didn't complain anymore. =D

At 730 p.m. we decided to take a family stroll along the beach. While strolling, we also tried to check out the restaurants that looked okay so we could pick where to have our dinner. We decided against eating at Alona Tropical restaurant again just so we could try something new so we walked along the shore to see which restaurants had customers and which had none. We decided to sup at Pyramid Grill (which has good reviews) and we ordered the chicken fingers and calamares with garlic rice. I wanted to get the grilled squid but I was afraid I could not finish it and it would simply go to waste. I didn't want that. When the food arrived, we tried it and it was yummy. After supper, we headed back home, rested a bit and then slept to recharge ourselves for our second day in Bohol.

2 comments:

Becky said...

The pictures are great...love the beach scenes and palm trees. Lovely.

Glad you had so much fun on your vacation! That was really cute about your son pointing out the different types of clouds while on the flight. I don't think I knew what those things were until 5th grade science class!

beevs said...

summer's almost here and those lovely pics are luring me. i wish i could go to bohol soon, too. the place looks really nice and peaceful.