Monday, January 21, 2008

BOHOL - FRIDAY PART 1

I woke up at 245 a.m. last Friday (January 18) ready to begin our Bohol adventure. I woke Ruther up, got ready, checked the bags and then woke the boys up. At around 315 a.m. we were ready to leave. Russell (Ruther's younger brother) drove us to the airport and we were grateful that we did not have to get a taxi.


You would think that since it was a Friday, there would only be a few passengers/travellers. But when we got there, there was a queue leading to the entrance and then another queue towards the x-ray machines. Fortunately, there was a short line in the check-in lane so I felt that we were making good time. We paid the terminal fee (P200 each) which I personally thought was kind of too much, then passed through the final check-in. The waiting area was filled with people that there were many of them standing. This kind of worried me because I knew that the boys would want to sit down eventually. So we first bought some breakfast and then looked for a place to sit. We found a nice out-of-the-way place which was okay. The mood in the waiting area was kind of sleepy yet busy. Some passengers were so bored, some were busy chatting with family or friends, some were tinkering with their gadgets, some were eating and some were fast asleep. Occasionally, the paging system would break the restless mood urging the last few passengers to please board the aircraft now or requesting someone to come to the customer service counter or announcing the boarding calls. Shortly after we sat down, we saw this kiddie lounge and thought that maybe the kids would want to play in there while waiting for 515 a.m. to arrive. They did but only for a bit.


Then it was time to board the plane and we hurriedly made our way to the line. We were seated on rows 20 and 21. Nikki and I sat in front and Ethan and Ruther sat on the back. I SMS'd my mom and sister that we were in the plane and that I had to shut off my phone. The flight was uneventful maybe because I slept almost the whole time. During that time, the sun slowly came out and it turned the sky into different shades of blue. Nikki and Ethan were quite behaved and I was glad for that. The flight took only an hour and fifteen minutes so pretty soon, we landed at Tagbilaran Airport. It was quite small. When we disembarked, I turned on my cellphone and SMS'd my mom that we made it safely. We quickly took some photos of our arrival. It was a bit funny because many of us were snapping away and the guard was busily trying to shoo us to the arrival area but no one seemed to heed him. We just wanted to take as much photos as we could. So anyway, after that, we went to the terminal and then got our bags. I hired a pick-up service and I just had to look for my name and then we found our driver. Respectfully, we called him Manong (which roughly means "older brother" and a hierarchal marker, it is to be used to refer to anyone who is older than you within an individual's family, but could also be used for non-family -Wikipedia). We were pleased to see our service was quite new, air-conditioned and not old and battered down. Even Ruther was impressed.

We made our way through the city and then as we left Tagbilaran, the scenery slowly transformed itself. Gone were the small buildings and houses and the busy streets. Along the way were fields of green, coconut trees, banana trees, lush hills, nipa houses, cows and carabaos here and there. It was very rural. And I loved it. It reminded me so much of Zamboanga. Anyway, it was quite a long ride. It took us about 30 minutes and Manong was driving quite fast. We got to Alonaland okay but check-in time was at 12 noon and it was only 8am. Since they did not have a restaurant (only a canteen), we decided to go to the beach, have a meal and spend the morning there while waiting for noontime. We walked down a path leading to the beach. I did not know what to expect and as we got nearer, palm trees shielded the beach from view. When we stepped out into the clearing, it was breathtaking...




to be continued...

No comments: