Sunday, February 17, 2008

8:05

It's 8:05 in the morning but the house is still so quiet. It's so relaxing and peaceful when it's this quiet. I could only hear the faint sounds of a basketball outside and some happy kids. The sky is still so bleak and the air so cool. Beside me is my (really hot!) chocolate milk to keep my insides warm (and which burned my tongue not a few seconds ago). It doesn't feel like a Sunday at all. When I was little, Sundays would always bring out a panicky feeling because I knew that the next day was a school day and I knew that I still had so much schoolwork to do and would not enjoy the day so much.

Anyway, I would have to go back to my studying today. I want to read 1 to 2 chapters a day just to keep my lessons going. I'm currently in a very interesting topic now: sleep. Here's one that caught my attention: It is not necessary to completely replace lost sleep. Most symptoms of sleep deprivation (sleep loss) are reversed by a single night's rest. (Coon, 2006)

Interesting, huh? And here's another one that is pretty important to know: A microsleep is a brief shift in brain activity to the pattern normally recorded during sleep. Even if your eyes are open, you can fall asleep for a few seconds. (Coon, 2006) I guess those sleepy drivers should get out of the road then.

Okay, one last: Only 8 percent of us are short sleepers, averaging 5 hours of sleep or less per night. On the other end of the scale we find long sleepers, who doze 9 hours or more (and tend to be daytime worriers). Most people sleep on a familiar 7- to 8-hours-per-night schedule. For a few however, it is quite normal to sleep as little as 5 hours per night or as much as 11. Urging everyone to sleep 8 hours would be like advising everyone to wear medium-size shoes.

Anyway, I'm almost done with this chapter. Next one is Sleep Disturbances and Dreaming. Am looking forward to that one already! =D

No comments: