Wednesday, March 26, 2008

HAVEN'T BEEN BLOGGING MUCH

I'm sorry I haven't been blogging a lot these days. It's just that I've been caught up with so many things I hardly have the time to write. Like I mentioned in previous posts, I'm trying to finish my Child Psych by April and well, I've been studying as much as I possibly can in the middle of all my chores and homeschooling and other activities. This is really not a bother because it's really interesting but I want to be finished with it so I could get my certificate and then proceed to the next step (which I will mention later as I have to talk to Ruther about it again).

Anyway, what is taking most of my time now is researching a homeschooling method for Ethan. In case you didn't know, my boys have very different personalities. Nikki is doing all right with our eclectic method but it does not seem to suit Ethan at all because he's not the sit-down-and-study type. He's a sensory learner and loves to feel and touch things and learn from his environment and educational toys. He learns more through experience. He's what the books call "The Accidental Learner". You really cannot have a structured study time with him or you'll end up talking to yourself. Ethan is just not ready for formal lessons. And I really don't want to push him. But neither am I going to neglect his education. So I've been researching for the appropriate homeschooling philosophy for him and I discovered the Moore formula which I think will be quite helpful in my lessons for Ethan. Here's a summary of what it's about (from homescooldiner.com):

This is a Christian-based educational philosophy described in several books written by homeschooling pioneers Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore, including, "Better Late Than Early", "School Can Wait" and "Homegrown Kids". This Moore Formula homeschool curriculum includes a blend of study, work, and service. The studies should be practical, low-stress, and interest-based. The work should include doing chores, helping with the family business, and a child's own entrepreneurial activities - to build self-confidence and self-control. Daily service is recommended, such as helping at home and in the community, to help build character.
An important emphasis of this philosophy is that parents should wait until their children are *ready* to learn to read and write. No formal study is required until age 8 to 10 or 12 (though early readiness in children is not discouraged). The curriculum includes unit and project work. History is taught through the reading of biographies. Math and grammar are taught using "Math It" and "Winston Grammar". The Moore Formula method can be used independently, or by enrolling in "The Moore Academy".

I really like the part about delaying academics for some kids because readiness plays a big part in their learning and I see that it really applies to Ethan. Usually when we do lessons, he really learns and understands them when he's interested and when he's ready.

I'm still reading and researching more about this and I really really think that I am on the right track. Also, since the Moore formula is similar to unschooling, I think I will incorporate these two philosophies in teaching Ethan. I just really have to do a lot of research so I'll know what to do and so I am prepared. Anyway, if I could spare some time from all these research and studying, I'll be sure to blog again. =D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! I'm not going anywhere, and I'm guessing everyone else will still be here too when you're not as busy! :)

I hope you find something that works really well for Ethan. It's great that you're able to look at your boys' individual learning styles and tailor their instruction accordingly. :)