Monday, March 31, 2008

MOSQUITOES

Now that the weather has become so warm, I notice a lot of mosquitoes everywhere in the house: in the kitchen, in the garage, the living room, the boys' room, our bedroom, even the bathroom. Seeing all those mosquitoes really freaked me out because I'm allergic to mosquito bites. One time, I woke up at around 4 in the morning to discover that I had SIX bites!! Two on my arm, three on my leg and one on my back. I guess to the mosquitoes I was like an eat-all-you-can buffet while I was in deep sleep. I checked the boys that morning and they did not have any bites at all! After that incident, I waged my war against those irritating blood-suckers. I prepared my water-based spray, filled the bottle and one night when everyone was asleep and before I went to bed, I sprayed all over the house. The next morning, I was delighted to see a lot of casualties on the bathroom floor. Haha! Eighty down, 5 thousand to go.

It's a bit difficult spraying in the bedroom because the boys always pop in every so often so I try to remember to spray before we head out for the mall. During the day, we open our windows and doors (to take advantage of any cool breeze there might be) and sometimes a mosquito flies in, much to my annoyance and aggravation. And when I can't kill or shoo that pesky mosquito away, it bothers me all through the night. If it weren't so hot in the evenings, I would sleep with a blanket just so I wouldn't have to think and worry about these little vampires sipping my blood (and causing me a lot of itchy discomfort). Not only that, I worry about dengue as well so this is really a battle that I intend to win. I also keep track of any enemy basecamps and make sure there are no stagnant water nearby where they can recon and multiply. It's not easy going through a covert operation to shoot them down but so far, I'm unscathed in this war. Anyway, I have to replenish my ammunition. Still have a lot of enemies to bring down. Hopefully, they will learn to stay away from me and my spray bottle before all hell breaks lose.

=D

1 comment:

Becky said...

Enemy basecamps is right! Pooling water will draw them for sure.

We don't have too many mosquitos where we live in the desert. There are some, of course, down by the river, but the wind where we live is enough to drive them away.

We used to suffer terribly from them in Minnesota, though. We always used this oily skin spray from Avon called Skin So Soft, and the smell repelled them. Citronella candles outside of doorways and windows help to ward them off, too. And I've heard that people with lots of birdfeeders in their yards (attracting birds) have less of a problem with them than others, because birds will eat almost half their weight in mosquitos in a day.

When all that fails, Bounce dryer sheets rubbed on your skin are supposed to repel them as well. But I hate to think of the chemicals that puts on a persons skin. I've heard of folks doing that while camping, though.

Oh, and cutting down on banana consumption (which makes the blood sweet) and upping raw garlic consumption is supposed to help, too.