Monday, March 03, 2008

TITA NICKI

Today I received a wonderful email from Tita Nicki. In case you have no idea who she is, she is Ruther's Australian aunt who lived with us when she came for work last year. That was longest I've been with her because in previous visits, she would say with Mama's relatives. But last year, we had enough space for her and her daughter Natasha so they stayed with us and it was great finally getting to know them so well.

I miss Tita Nicki a lot. She's very caring, empathic and intelligent. She's the type of person I could share anything and everything with. Yup, I really feel like she's my second mom. During the months she was here, I have grown to respect her so much. Not only does she have this dedication to her work, but she is also very devoted to her family. I wish I could be like her and be able to balance career and family when the time comes.

What I really miss the most about Tita Nicki is our chats. In the evenings when she's home with us, we would sit at the table and just talk about anything. We could talk about serious things like OFW's (Overseas Filipino Worker's) situations in other countries, about family life, about education, and tv shows. Sometimes, we would just talk about food and health and sickness. I told Ruther that before Tita Nicki came, I was beginning to think I would not be able to have any intelligent conversations anymore. Really, I miss just having to talk and share thoughts, ideas and opinions about whatever is close to my heart. I just miss her so much now.

I suppose it helps a bit that we email each other from time to time. It can't be on a regular basis because she is quite busy with work but once in a while, when I see a letter from her, it just gives me a very warm feeling. I hope to see her again this year but she's still not sure if she'll be coming for another visit. If that does not push through, I guess I just have to be content with getting emails from her. That will not make me miss her any less, but at least I will still get to "talk" to one of my favorite people often.

No comments: