Monday, March 03, 2008

SKIPPING SCHOOL

Once in a while, we have a “skip school” day. On this day, we don’t do any formal lessons. I just leave the boys to do as they please and I could curl up in bed with a good book. I know some homeschooling moms would gasp at this and might even think, “What is this woman doing?! She should be teaching those boys the way I do!” Well, in our home, we are quite laidback. Some days we would sit outside and just look up at the sky and the forming clouds. Other days we would be immersed in experiments or Playdough. And some days we would be at the mall doing groceries and interacting with a variety of people. Today was a “skip school” day. When I woke up this morning, I had a little headache so I told Nikki that we were going to take it easy today. So they played with their blocks and Ethan read his Insects book while I tried to finish my book quietly. While waiting for me to get up, they watched an episode of Blue’s Clues and ate some cereal. Then I readied their bath water and after having their refreshing baths, I decided to fix the boys’ workbooks and stuff in the bookshelf. While I was doing this, Ethan did some coloring and Nikki played with his Nintendo DS. Then after a quick lunch and bath (for me), we read some books together. At 2pm, it was naptime but the boys were so talkative that they eventually dozed off at 230 pm. I tidied up the room and napped a bit as well. Then at 5pm when the sun was not too hot anymore, we went outside and the boys took turns on the bicycle. Nikki was particularly fascinated with the falling leaves. Actually only one or two fell when the wind blew so when it got a bit windy, he would look up at the tree for falling leaves. I thought, “This must be what Newton was like when he discovered gravity.” Anyway, after an hour or so, we fried some hotdogs and then the boys showered. A few minutes ago, Nikki spoke to his dad and told him about his uneventful day. Ethan was too distracted with his blocks to speak to his dad but he went to the camera to say hi.
And so far, that was our day. Nothing spectacular, just all fun and relaxation. But then again, the night is still young…

No comments: