Thursday, April 17, 2008

ETHAN'S PET WORM

The other day (it was late afternoon) we saw this worm crawling aimlessly in the garage. We had no idea where it came from but I knew that Ethan would love to see it. So I called him. And, the bug-lover that he is, he was so fascinated with it. It was as fat as one of his fingers and was around 6 inches long. Then, I thought, why not keep it as Ethan’s pet? I mean, I don’t think it’s difficult to take care of an earthworm, right? So, before it could reach the end of our garage (Nikki kept watch), I got a transparent container, filled it with soil and with a stick, carefully picked Wormy (its name) up and put it in its new home. Ethan kept on asking, “where’s the earthworm?” all the time while checking the container and I would say, “he’s in his home.” Whenever Wormy would appear on the sides of the container, Ethan would be excited all over again. And of course, Wormy would make its way into the deeper and darker part of the container and would disappear (because of course, they like the dark but my boy doesn’t know that yet) which would disappoint Ethan. This afternoon, Ethan couldn’t see any part of Wormy at all and he complained to me, “Where’s Wormy? He’s gone!” So, I had to get a stick and look for Wormy. When we found him in the middle of the container (as usual), that satisfied Ethan so we gave Wormy some leaves and sprinkled some water on the soil. Then we let him be because I was thinking Wormy had enough poking for one day. Anyway, I’m still not sure when we’re letting Wormy go but I don’t think it’s anytime soon yet. I think it will be great to have Wormy with us for a while and it would be great to study an earthworm up close. I guess Ethan will have to decide when to let go of Wormy. Hopefully, it won’t be too long.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun!! But no pictures of the new member of the household? :)

Becky said...

That sounds like a pretty easy pet to keep and take care of. No fuss.

Years ago, I heard that in an effort to go 'green', among other things the Seattle Mariners baseball stadium had employed the use of a worm farm to eat and 'process' all the leftover vegetable matter that was generated by their catering service in the high-dollar seats at the stadium, and to turn it into high-dollar 'fertilizer' (from the worm casings) for the stadium grass and flowerbeds. I understand that the worms will eat almost any vegetable matter, except red cabbage.

My mom (who is studying to become a Master Gardener) tells me that the more worm casings there are in the soil the more pest-resistant the crops that are grown in that soil. Worms are very, very beneficial to the environment, especially if you're a gardener.

beevs said...

hahah..i didn't know a worm could be a pet. sounds cool! :D