Friday, May 09, 2008

TGIF

I forgot to mention the other day that Ethan is starting to read! Yay! The other day, when Nikki asked me if he could watch Ice Age (I agreed) and when the 20th Century Fox logo appeared at the beginning of the movie, Ethan approached the tv and said, "Number 20!" and I said, "That's right! Very good, baby!" But then, to my surprise, he pointed towards the tv and said "Fox!" I really amazed and happy about it that I shrieked and said, "Oh my god! Ethan can read!" You would have thought I was witnessing a miracle (well, in a way, it is). I never "taught" Ethan the way I do with Nikki. As I've always said, Ethan is not the let's-sit-down-and-study type. He would rather learn on his own. Which can be so frustrating for me because I feel that I'm not doing much to help him learn his lessons. So, I try to compensate by buying him educational toys and software. He really loves to learn through experience and trial and error so as much as I would want to let him answer worksheets, I suppose I would just have to respect his learning style. And I'm glad I left him alone because now he's reading! And all on his own! He could read "boy" and "go" and "cow" and "moon" and "sun" and "mars" and "pluto" (loves the planets obviously) and "bed" and of course, "fox". Can't wait for him to read more words. His dad is quite happy to hear that his little boy is now starting to read. He was worried about Ethan's disinterest in the usual structured lessons so now he could breathe easily. Anyway, more homeschooling updates next time! =D

.....

It rained yesterday and last night was so wonderfully cool I can't believe how much I've missed rainy evenings. But today, it's quite warm again and just a few minutes ago when the boys and I walked to the store to buy some potato chips for Nikki, I decided to let them use their small umbrella. Nikki was relieved about that because he said it was so hot outside. On the way home, he told me, "Whew! Mommy, I'm all sweaty! I'm hot!" And when we got to the room, he of course, asked me to turn on the AC. I couldn't say no. Why should I when I was feeling so hot too? So I guess for today, we'll be holed up in our air-conditioned room wishing it was raining again.

1 comment:

Lasketti said...

Wow.. nakakatuwa talaga to see them leap!!!!
Sasha ko din has her own pace in learning... she's learning to read still.. and last week I was glad to witness her read the word FRIDAY on the calendar... yey!