Wednesday, May 07, 2008

OBSESSED

So remember how intrigued I was about the movie The Golden Compass? Remember that I mentioned not knowing anything about the flick (except that Nicole Kidman was there) and then being blown away by the story? Well, one day, at a discount bookstore, I happened to find the book. Yup! What were the chances right? So I got to reading the book right away and oh my god, the book is waaaay better than the movie, I must say. It's very rich and detailed and very creative. I loved how Philip Pullman incorporated metaphysics in his writing. I said that the movie was intriguing? Well, the book is just amazing! The thing is though, the movie wasn't really faithful to the book (unlike the movie The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - it was made as it was written in the book). Lyra Belacqua in the movie is rebellious but somewhat sweet. In the book, she is headstrong, petulant, and almost mean aside from being intelligent and easy-going. Her past is also explained in greater detail in the book. More explanations about the human-daemon relationship was also written in there and I found them to be all so fascinating. Like all adult servants all have dog daemons. So cool. Also, it took Lyra a while before she could figure out how to read the alethiometer. But of course, they couldn't do that in the movie - naturally. All the other characters were amazing as well but I love Pantalaimon and Iorek. I was just so fascinated and amazed at the imagination of Philip Pullman. The book was something I enjoyed tremendously and I am already thinking of reading it again. (I watched the movie twice already.) I went back to the discount bookstore the other day to look for the second part of His Dark Materials series, The Subtle Knife but I couldn't find it. I was soooo disappointed. I so wanted to read it because The Golden Compass left me hanging and I really couldn't help but wonder about Lyra's fate. I already read the synopsis and I just want to get my hands on a copy so I could once more lose myself in a wonderful world of daemons and alethiometers and alternate universes. I asked my sister to help me look for The Subtle Knife at a bookstore close to where she works. I'm hoping that she'll find me a copy. And soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I REALLY need to see that movie! :)