Friday, June 27, 2008

AT THE HOSPITAL

I know, I know. I disappeared from the face of the earth again. And for good reason. Ethan had to go to the hospital because of mild dehydration. Last Tuesday, for some strange reason, he just started vomiting and complained of a tummy ache. Then he didn't want to eat and just drank water (which he would expel after a few minutes) the whole day and night. Come Wednesday, I brought him to the hospital because I was so worried about his condition and when the nurses at the emergency room confirmed that he needed to be admitted because his eyes looked sunken, I called Ruther (he was at work then) and just broke down. I just felt so bad for Ethan. So, they had to give him fluids intravenously and of course, in true Ethan style he fought everyone who tried to hold him down and prick him. He just hates hospitals (I actually do too). They also tried taking his temperature and his weight. But again, he fought them off (I was on the phone at this time talking to my doctor sis) and when I finally helped them I think they were relieved for the assistance. Anyway, it was a series of cajoling, threatening, bribing, consoling and giving of affection while they got his chest x-ray (front and side) and some blood for testing. He was so cranky by the time I requested for a room. I understood him perfectly. He was hungry, sleepy and was pricked the whole morning so it was natural for him to be mad and frustrated. When we finally got a room I was able to gather my thoughts a bit. I wondered how I was going to go home to get clothes and some of our things. Plus, I would have to bring Nikki with me as well because no one will be able to watch him at home. Good thing my mother-in-law dropped by and when Ethan finally fell asleep around 1pm, I went home and got our stuff and Nikki went to the hospital with me. I think it was good that Nikki was there because Ethan kept on asking for him the whole morning. Anyway, Ethan slept the whole afternoon but didn't want to sleep on the hospital bed because he couldn't feel the AC. He slept instead on the couch. Sigh. When he woke up, he asked for some milk and I gave him some although he only drank a little. I updated Ruther, my mom and dad, sister and Ruther's family about Ethan's condition. At around 3pm, the doctor arrived and she asked me the history. I told her everything and she said that Ethan will need to take some antibiotics because his throat seemed inflamed. She examined Ethan further and it seemed okay. I was a bit relieved when she said that his dehydration was only mild. Thank God. I know it could have been worse. Anyway by evening, Ethan was starting to be his usual self. He wanted to walk around the room but I dissuaded him because of his IV tube. So he just played with his bed instead and kept on pressing the button that made it go up and down. I had no idea how long we were going to stay there but I had some hope that we would be able to leave the next day or even Friday at the latest. Anyway, the next day, when the doctor checked Ethan again she said that he seemed to be doing well so we could go home that afternoon. Yay! I was soooo relieved. The doctor said that he will need another check-up but I didn't care as long as he didn't need to be confined anymore. I just need to give him his antibiotics orally for 6 more days (again, no problem as long as we're going to do that at home) and monitor his appetite. Another good news that day was Ethan's health card (care of Ruther's insurance). The total bill amounted to P12,800 (approx. US$286) but I just paid P2900 (approx. US$65) because of the deductions. THAT was another relief. Whew! Anyway, I wasn't sure who was more glad to be home, me, Ethan or Nikki. I suppose we all were but that night, Ruther was glad that we were all home too. He saw Ethan and was relieved that everything's okay again. I know that it was a scary experience for us, but I still thank God that it was anything but serious. Hopefully, we will find out next week the true diagnosis for Ethan's condition this past 2 days.

No comments: