Wednesday, September 17, 2008

KEIRO NO HI

Last Monday was a holiday so we just stayed home and watched my new favorite series Bones. I just love this show. I suppose I've always loved crime/forensics shows because I've been watching CSI, New Detectives, Air Crash Investigation since before. I don't know why it's so appealing to me but the cases are just so interesting. Anyway, I like Bones a lot because of the characters primarily. I like Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz. I think their chemistry is hot hot hot! Anyway, I'm just glad that I've now a new show to watch. Since we don't have cable here in Japan, I kinda miss the shows I usually watch back home. Hopefully, this will keep me busy for the time being.

.....

http://web-japan.org/kidsweb/explore/calendar/september/keiro.html

September 15 is a national holiday called Keiro no Hi, or Respect-for-the-Aged Day. When it was first named a day for elderly citizens in 1951 it was called Toshiyori no Hi, or old people's day. It was designated a national holiday in 1966, and its name was also changed.

Keiro no Hi is a day when one shows respect to long-time contributors to society, celebrates their longevity, prays for their health, gains greater awareness and understanding of welfare issues confronting the elderly, and thinks about how welfare services can be improved.

Because Respect-for-the-Aged Day is a relatively new holiday, there are no customs particularly associated with this day. Usually, though, cultural programs and athletic events spotlighting the elderly are held in the community. In some elementary schools, kids draw pictures or make simple handicraft items to present to their grandparents or residents of nursing homes.

The Tokyo metropolitan government usually holds a ceremony on September 14 to honor the older residents of the prefecture and also sponsors a number of events. The governor of Tokyo visits centenarians and presents them with commemorative gifts.

Japan has the longest life expectancy of any country in the world. According to the Ministry of Health and Welfare, the average life expectancy in 1995 was 76.36 years for men and 82.84 years for women. The 100-and-over population is growing by about a thousand each year, and there were 7,373 centenarians in 1996.

The population of those 65 and over as of April 1, 1997, was 19.44 million, according to the Management and Coordination Agency, representing 15.4% of the total population. This means that one out of every six and a half persons is 65 or above.

Japan's fertility rate - the number of children a woman is expected to give birth to during her lifetime - is dwindling, moreover, and so by 2010, every fifth person in Japan could be 65 or over.

Japan's society is thus graying at a rapid pace, and Respect-for-the-Aged Day should become an increasingly important day in the years to come.

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hi Yette, Bones is one of my favourite series too, take care Jane