Monday, May 18, 2009

TERMITE PROBLEM

I've had problems with termites for a long time. Back in Zamboanga, my dad had to redo my cabinets and ceiling because of termites. Then after 2 years, the termites attacked again. Fortunately, most of my precious stuff were not in my room but that still didn't stop it from smelling like an insect home. In Manila, an infestation some years back ruined Ruther's college yearbook and and some other books he owned. He was kind of pissed about that. And how does one really get rid of this problem? Speaking from experience, I think the best way is to leave it to termite companies. My dad tried getting rid of them his own way for years now and still, the termites exist in our home. I think we simply do not have the proper DIY chemical aids or termiticides in the Philippines ( and also the proper know-how) in getting rid of them. My dad always told me that killing the queen termite would get rid of the colony but what I didn't know (until I checked this Termite Guide) is that termites have more than one queen! Now I know why these buggers keep on going and going at my cabinets! Our termite problem in Zamboanga is still on-going and my mom and dad are saving money to hire professionals to get rid of those pesky insects. I hope that happens soon or we'll be robbed of house and home!

1 comment:

Becky said...

Here in the States, termites tend to be a real problem down south (Louisiana and Mississippi) where they have high humidity and hot summers.

I understand that keeping any woodpiles (as for fires) away from homes and other structures helps keep termites from homing in on dwellings.

The best thing I've heard to use when trying to get rid of them on your own is something called Boric acid. It's a powder commonly sold in plastic bottles with a nozzle tip to help get a line of it into corners and other hard to reach spots. Here,folks use it to get rid of both termites and roaches, but it also helps get rid of black widows and other bugs found in outbuildings in our desert area. In bugs and spiders, it causes their central nervous systems to shut down if they brush over it and try to clean it off, but it's supposed to be harmless to humans (I believe Mike Rowe's "Dirty Jobs" TV show did a segment on the place where they mine this. It's a dirty, messy job, but the folks working there haven't had any occupational hazards from mining it for decades, so that claim must be true.

You just sprinkle it around the permimeter of problem areas every week or so during problematic seasons of the year (it can blow away with the wind) and it's supposed to help greatly. It helps kill LOTS of bugs. We have used it successfully to kill these pincher bugs we call earwigs.