Sunday, June 07, 2009

RAIN OR SHINE?

For the first time in three days the sun finally came out. I was expecting a rainy weekend but when I woke up this morning, it was bright and sunny. Although it is sunny right now, I'm sure we will be having rains again because June to August is when typhoons come into the country. Hopefully, there won't be devastating storms.

.....

I watched the news the other day and I felt really bad for the kids who had to go to school when it was rainy. I mean, the chances of them getting sick was high and at the same time, I'm quite sure those poor families don't have the money to buy medicine should that happen. While I was watching that I somehow felt glad that Nikki and Ethan are homeschooled. I mean, we won't have to go through all those problems. Rain or shine, we could do our lessons safe at home. If ever we planned an outing, we could always postpone it for another day and know that we could always do that some other time. Also, we don't have to worry about getting sick and missing school because even if they do get sick, they still could read books or do simple activities at home. So yeah, I think this is another plus in our homeschooling decision.

.....

Also in the news, some moms were complaining about the announcements coming from the Department of Education about the suspension of classes because of the rains. They were saying that either the announcements were too late and their kids were already in school, or that they were confusing because during suspended days, there would be no rains at all. I perfectly understand their irritation. When I was in college, that happened often. Sometimes my classmates and I would not know whether to go to school or not because we weren't sure about the announcements. One time, it was reported that there would be suspension of classes but it was a sunny day so my friends and I went to the mall instead. Sigh. If only the weather bureau here in the Philippines were as reliable as the one in Japan. Ruther and I would check the weather everyday and if it usually says "rainy" we're sure to bring an umbrella. Sigh. Anyway, I just hope that PAGASA (the weather bureau here) would do a better job in predicting the weather. Otherwise a crystal ball would be a better option for us.

No comments: