Sunday, August 16, 2009

TALK THE TALK

Another thing I have yet to master while in Japan is learning how to use my kawaii voice. In case you didn't know, kawaii in Japanese means "cute". My regular speaking voice is probably lower than a typical girl's but definitely higher than a guy's deep voice. However, here in Japan, a girl's speaking voice is really high-pitched and well, girly. I may sometimes pass off as Japanese-looking (because I am so Asian) but once I speak, the cat's out of the bag.

I try really hard to speak in a kawaii voice but it's harder than I thought. There's a typical kawaii voice and then, there's someone trying to speak in a sweet, lilting manner - which can be so nauseating. I, of course, don't want to be the trying-hard version. But again, it's really difficult. The first few times I used my regular speaking voice at the supermarket and said arigatou to the cashier, I sounded really well, masculine. And I almost cringed at the sound of my voice.

Anyway, several times after that, I've tried changing the tone of my voice and so far, I've still been unsuccessful. I still haven't gotten the right kawaii note. I wouldn't want to raise my voice a full octave higher because for one, it wouldn't suit my look (I'm definitely NOT petite) and two, I would look, sound and feel reeeeeally stupid. So, I'm still hoping to be able to get that right girly voice eventually. I'm sure a few more practice sessions in front of the mirror mumbling sumimasen, arigatou gozaimasu and gomen nasai would enable me to find my very own kawaii voice.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I had to laugh at the "reeeeeally stupid" part! I think I'd feel the same way. :)

Becky said...

It's amazing all the social cues one must learn to get along in another culture.

How has the housing situation worked out for you?