Tuesday, October 20, 2009

PROJECTS

I don't know why but I've started crocheting again. For some strange reason I decided to pick up the hobby a few days ago. I can't remember the last time I tried crocheting. I think it was high school. I've forgotten some of the stitches but with some practice these past couple of days, I managed to remember most of them. Anyway, I started making really easy projects first: anklets, necklaces, flowers, etc. I think that before I embark on a more challenging project, I need to practice my stitching first. I remember the first time I started crocheting, my stitches were so uneven. Hopefully, with a little practice and inspiration from the internet, I'll be able to come up with interesting projects. Maybe even crochet myself a pretty dress. :)

.....

I want to have my own sewing machine. I recently bought a Japanese craft book on sale and it had a lot of interesting projects. I so want to try making them. Of course, I won't jump into the complicated pieces. I'm not unrealistic. I know my limits at this time. If only I were as good as blogger friend Amy in making those really cute bags and purses, maybe I could even sell them in Multiply. But I'm getting ahead of myself. I need a sewing machine first!! Maybe I could find a cheap but nice one at the mall. Any tips on how to buy a reasonably-priced sewing machine?

.....

I'm so hoping that Ruther will come home for Christmas. Already the year is ending in such a depressing note, I just wish something will happen that would put some happiness and good luck in our lives. Does that sound so desperate? Well, it's just that 2009 is nothing at all like I pictured and hoped it to be. Sigh. It's times like these that I wish I had a crystal ball that really works...

1 comment:

Amy said...

It alllll started with crochet for me! :) I learned in 4th grade, and many years later I started knitting, and after that I got a sewing machine and started making purses! My first few were really simple, more like pencil pouches with handles, and I didn't know how to attach the lining with the machine, I had to do it by hand. A summer of trial and (mostly) error later, I had made a few pretty neat ones! Now I can throw one together in a day, and be pretty happy with it! :)

My first (and cheap) sewing machine was from Sears, and I sold it in a garage sale. You might check out 2nd hand stores, garage sales, that sort of thing. I would recommend taking any sewing machine you might buy used to a sewing machine store to get a little tune up, just in case it needs it. It'll save you a lot of frustration, possibly some fabric, and definitely a lot of thread!

My most recent projects have been altering my clothes. Taking a t-shirt in on the sides so it's a little more fitted, hemming my jeans, etc.